The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 11:08 AM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about
Default Boat Boxes - MFC or Umpqua

Can not decide between these two boxes and I am looking at getting probably 6 of them! I am looking to utilize these boxes for Bass, Pike and Muskie flies and I will keep them in a boat or duffel bag and in the boat.

I like the MFC boxes from what I have seen of them and I like the idea of the swing leaf for extra storage. The only question I have is if larger Pike and Muskie flies would be smashed by flies on the swing leaf.

I like the Umpqua boxes for the drying station on the exterior and I like that the largest boat box from Upmqua is about the largest boat box out there. There will be lots of room in there.

From those who have seen or used these boxes, what do you have to say?
Old 08-22-2013, 11:50 AM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of
Default Re: Boat Boxes - MFC or Umpqua

Can't comment as to whether or not your flies will be smashed but the swing leaf on the MFC was what sold me. I will say that the MFC is really heavy and the locking mechanism is somewhat of a pain as you have to squeeze the handle together to release the pressure on the locks to even get a chance to open it.
As for the outside drying station, you can always get some 6mm foam and cut it to size and then glue it on the MFC, or even to the wall of your boat.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:07 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Boat Boxes - MFC or Umpqua

I don't know if something like this will meet your guy's needs or not, but I've been using tackle bags along the lines of this for a long time to hold all my extra flies - Plano Molding | Fishing | Soft Sided Tackle Bags | 4464-00 SoftSider X 3600 Size Tackle Bag

I fish smaller flies, so a bag like this will hold hundreds. It keeps them organized and in great shape. If the boxes are well organized it's easy to find what you are looking for and to pick a fly out. Some of the boxes have adjustable compartments, so you could store some pretty good sized flies, of course, just not as many.

Since it's easy to swap boxes in and out, it's quick to take along exactly what you want on any given trip.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo