The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 03:23 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Question Please Enlighten Me

Ever since I was a kid I've had a passion for competetive sports as well as flyfishing ! The big contests always get me excited like the World Series or the NBA finals but international competitions like the Olympics really get me going. That patriotic feeling when the U. S. goes head to head in a big event just gets me pumped up . I was so bad as a kid that during one Olympic Basketball final game between the United States and Russia (back when we still had college kids as a team not the "Dream Team") I broke the family TV set slamming it when we were robbed of a victory ! Took me a year on my paper route to pay that one back !
To my point, why cant we win the World Fly Fishing Championships? Or even medal? Another year goes by and the Czechs , the French and the Italians again leave us in the dust! You mean to tell me with all the great fly guys in this country we can't put together a winning team! The kids team won ! But the regular team can't?is it the system of choosing the team? Is it the lack of funding? Is it the pre competition training? What? It just seems unfathomable to me that with the fly fishing community we have in this country that we can't compete!
Please will someone tell me what this is and not the excuse that they have more experience in European venues and waters because for a good fisherman that has no bearing!
Hoping to hear some really good responses on this so maybe I can comprehend it better!
Thank You in advance!
waterfordcreek likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-23-2013, 03:34 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: Please Enlighten Me

HI Boz,

Maybe some of the more skilled fly fishermen in this country think like me: that nothing would kill the enjoyment more than making it into a competition .

Obviously I enjoy competitive sports (NHL) so not passing judgement on competitive fly fishing -- I'm just too lazy to get into that.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:45 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
HI Boz,

Maybe some of the more skilled fly fishermen in this country think like me: that nothing would kill the enjoyment more than making it into a competition .

Obviously I enjoy competitive sports (NHL) so not passing judgement on competitive fly fishing -- I'm just too lazy to get into that.
Great point! But the chance to fish new waters in a different country with other great fly people I would think that alone would attract more talent!
Give me a shot at going to Norway and fishing I'm there!!
Old 08-23-2013, 03:54 PM

chauncey is on a distinguished road

Who covers the cost of going to the tourney? Most guys fishing in the FLW league are sponsored so they typically pick up some of the cost of fishing in those tournaments but they also do it year around as their job.

Im guessing there are not many professional fly fishers making money off the tournament circuit.

So my guess is it all comes down to money.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:10 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

What Chauncey said and who gives a dang about competing....I do that at work, no desire for it on my days off.

Dave
brucerducer likes this.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:26 PM

The question was not about whether we like or dislike competitive fishing it was about why we don't have a good team with all the talented fly fisherman in this country.
When you compete at fishing it should be about a good time, when you compete at work it's usually about survival!
Old 08-23-2013, 04:30 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

I speak about my experience in Scotland here, not the USA, as I have not been here that long. Of all the truly great fly fishermen I have met in my time and trust me I have met a few. The majority around 98% of them were not interested in competition.
I played Rugby in my younger days and was very copetative, I hated to loose. Now I play Golf and I hate to loose. So I am a competitive person when it comes to sport. Supporting my teams in what ever sport, I can be extremely vocal and passionate.
However I have no interest in competition fly fishing. Maybe the same is true of individuals in this country.
Just my humble opinion
imxer, fysh and theboz like this.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:34 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I wasn't there.

ROFLOL !!!!!

One can always get in the pro bass circuit and that's enough competition to suit anyone I'm sure.
theboz and yonder like this.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:42 PM

Let me throw this out...Stu Apte, the Rajeff brothers ,Andy Mill just some names of good fly fisherman who have done competitions . So there are good ones who compete!
Old 08-23-2013, 04:45 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
Who covers the cost of going to the tourney? Most guys fishing in the FLW league are sponsored so they typically pick up some of the cost of fishing in those tournaments but they also do it year around as their job.

Im guessing there are not many professional fly fishers making money off the tournament circuit.

So my guess is it all comes down to money.
+2 to Chauncey's comments above and just a couple of observations. First, the UK really isn't all that big from top to bottom so getting to a competition is not all that time consuming. And they hold these things 'almost' on a monthly basis if I'm reading the postings on the 'Mother Board' correctly.

To give you a sense of scale: You're on I-5 at the Cal-Oregon boarder and drive straight north to the Washington Board. What you've just done is make a trip that's 90 miles further than the trip from down town London to down town Paris by airplane. (I'm not kidding.)

And I fully agree with the 'sponsorship' observation; just look at the Bass Fishing circuit for an indication of that.

fae