The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 06:40 AM

nc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the rough
Default Met a new fisherman

Went to a State Park pond yesterday to try some new flies. Nobody was having any luck, including me. After about an hour of "casting practice" moving around the bank, I noticed a family approaching with bags of new fishing gear. Dad began to assemble 3 small spin casting rigs with jigs and curly tail grubs. After about 30 minutes, everyone was casting rather well.
It seems that 7 year old Andrew had fished his first time a couple of weeks ago at a day camp and was really excited. He asked a lot of questions about my fly fishing gear. He was really getting into the casting with his new rod. Throw and reel as fast as he could, then throw again. His dad told me that Andrew usually had a short attention span, but not today.
Andrew was getting a little frustrated and he said to me "sir, could you tell me some of your secrets for catching fish?" I said sure. First your bait has to be in the water to catch fish. You need to reel slower. With Dads permission, I cast my fly rod and let Andrew hold the rod and retrieve. Finally got him to slow down. On the next cast, he shouted " I felt something". I new it was a small bream so I tied on a smaller fly. Two cast later, Andrew caught his first fish. He stripped the line in like a pro, rod up and slowly. I removed the barbless hook and let him release the little 6" fish. He was excited, but totally cool about the whole thing. We shook hands, he picked up his rod, said "thank you sir" and walked away with a little swagger in his steps. He started casting and slowly reeling his new spin cast outfit.
Mom and Dad had been quite during the whole thing. Now they were thanking me profusely. I told them that they may not feel that way later cause I had just created another avid fisherman.
For the next two hours, I watched the new fisherman cast way around the pond. He didn't catch anything, but he never stopped smiling.
I didn't catch anything, but it was one of the best fishing trips I ever had.
Mike
imxer, mcnerney, jpbfly and 19 others like this.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:40 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Met a new fisherman

Great story, thanks for sharing! Kind of reminds me of my grandson and his love for fishing.
imxer likes this.

Larry
Old 08-24-2013, 08:05 AM

jgentile will become famous soon enoughjgentile will become famous soon enough

Way to pay it forward! That is what this all about.

Bravo Zulu!
fredaevans, jaybo41 and yonder like this.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:14 AM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

Great story!

Of course you realize you could be charged with corrupting a minor...

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:23 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a great read, kudos for helping to foster some passion in an angler of the future. I'd bet years from now, when asked how he got hooked, he'll recall this very experience. Beyond a lesson in fishing, the lad got a great lesson in the sportsmanship that should go hand in hand with angling.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great story
I'd bet years from now, when asked how he got hooked, he'll recall this very experience. Beyond a lesson in fishing, the lad got a great lesson in the sportsmanship that should go hand in hand with angling.
Jay you took the very words from my mouth.....thanks
Old 08-24-2013, 11:23 AM

siege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to behold

You didn't just meet a new fisherman, you established a new fisherman. Isn't it amazing how you can do something for someone else, and it alwas seems to do something for you as a useful biproduct ?
Props for being open, available, and doing your good turn for the day.
You will BOTH remember it for a long time .
Old 08-24-2013, 12:05 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Similar story from God only knows how many years back (and one from a couple ago). In the first, 2handering on the Russian River in Nor-Cal and 'feel eyes on the back of my neck' sort of thing. Father and two young boys behind me on the beach (Sage 7136-4 in hand).

Wade back to the beach, chat and 'Would you like to try?' Kids were in the river in seconds. Both were banging out casts in twenty minutes. Didn't hook a thing, but they were 'In their own place' as they handed the rod back and forth.

Dad's quite comment to me? "How much is it going to cost me to get two of those things?" At that time, about $750-$800 dollars. I suspect he spent the money.

Last was a bit short of three years ago on the Bitterroot River. Working a 3wt 2hander (with minimal success for trout) and reeled in to get a drink of water. 'Old Fellow,' by every appearance to my "Sr." even at 69. My two old Dog's flaked out behind me, and his flopped out next to Sandy and Husky.

Talked about 2handers, he'd never seen one before, short of reading fishing mags. Asked if he had waders (no), but he just waded out into the river in his 'street clothing.' Guy was dead on in minutes; Dogs and I just sat on the beach and shared my lunch sandwich. Hell of it is .... he hooked three fish in minutes.........

I suspect, with a 1hander, this fellow was probably 'Magic.'

fae
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:18 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Great story!! Way to go and help someone who will always remember ! Man I love hearing stuff like this!!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-24-2013, 05:34 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

NC Cooter:

Really nice story. You are a very special guy.