The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 11:11 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Orivs wading boot problem

My Orvis wading boots have an insole insert. There is (was) a very thin piece of nylon mesh material covering the part of the insert that comes in contact with the foot. That came off of both inserts. The insert itself is fine, other than this thin mesh coming off. What I'm wondering,,,would the insert now damage the stocking foot of my waders ? Doesn't seem overly rough, but I'm not sure.
Orvis was super nice,,said return'em and they would replace the boots,,but they are so dang heavy that it'll cost a fortune to mail them back.

What'd ya think ?

Mike
Old 08-24-2013, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Orivs wading boot problem

Hi Mike,

Is there a shop nearby? If so a little communication with Orvis should enable you to return them to a dealer and pick up new boots. Otherwise shipping them is your only option, they should ship for around 21 dollars if that's the case. Find the smallest box that will hold them to keep costs down. Depending on your boot size you may be able to fit them into a 'Large Flat Rate' Priority mail box for 15.95.

Ard
jaybo41 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-24-2013, 11:41 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

+1 to what Ard just said. Ovis' warranty is gold plated. Never read a post where they didn't say, "Hand it over and we'll give you a new ...."

fae
Hardyreels and jaybo41 like this.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:51 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another option. Stock insoles in almost every piece of footwear are junk. You can replace them with drug store quality insoles or better quality insoles from Superfeet or Sole. Your cost could be anywhere from $10 to $45. It beats the time and money that you will lose from not having some boots.

Dennis
Old 08-24-2013, 12:07 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Orivs wading boot problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Here's another option. Stock insoles in almost every piece of footwear are junk. You can replace them with drug store quality insoles or better quality insoles from Superfeet or Sole. Your cost could be anywhere from $10 to $45. It beats the time and money that you will lose from not having some boots.

Dennis
That's exactly what I just did with a new set of boots, I dropped a set of the Sole's in them. To describe them as comfortable is an understatement.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

As usual Dennis has provided a quick and affordable fix. How bout finishing the season with replacement insoles then sending the boots back so you have a new pair for 2014........ Sounds a bit underhanded perhaps but no one wants to part with critical gear in mid season. Just be sure the replacement will still be available come November or so.
jaybo41 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-24-2013, 12:58 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys. That's exactly my problem....I don't have a replacement pair and fall fishing is coming on. I talked to Orvis and they said no prob on replacement,,,but now my account is noted. I'm gonna call'em back and just lay it out honest...They need replaced but I need them till I can get them replaced at my convience. Hope they will do that.

OK, you guys that put Soles in yours,,,they don't do any undue wear on the stocking foot of your waders ? I might just go that route and call it good. These inserts are not very forgiving in comfort,,and at 57 I'm entitled to go the comfort route and not be ashamed of it !

Ard, I did call the Orvis store in Roanoke and they said they would take care of it,,this way,,,,by sending them back for me and I come pick up the replacements. That would save me all mailing cost,,,,,,but it's an hour trip to the Orvis store from my place,,so I'd be a tad better off to mail them in myself when the time comes. If I lived closer,,that's a pretty decent offer.

I'm not trying to be a 'tight wad' but aren't shipping cost just obscene now ?

Mike
Old 08-24-2013, 01:26 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

No issues whatsoever to report on the waders. They're very soft and lined with a mesh. My wading boots feel like sneakers. Wanting comfort is not anything to be ashamed of at any age! I think mine are Sole brand but they are very similar to these. I have these green ones in some of my sneakers, they're excellent.

Spenco PolySorb Cross Trainer Insole Green - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways
Old 08-24-2013, 01:52 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Mike,

Any chance Orvis could just send you new inserts? Seems like that would save postage or shipping costs for both of you.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:54 PM

Ask they that very thing Dakota. They say they don't have inserts. THinking about now just buying me some inserts from the drug store or Walmart,,trim to fit and call it good. As the guys said,,gotta be more comfortable.

You'd think providing an insert would be cheaper than exchanging and entire pair of boots, eh ? Go figure.

Mike