The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 03:28 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Spinning rod advice?

I know this might be the wrong forum, but I know each and every one of you own at least three.:-) Today I was throwing a small jig in mangrove creek. The tide ripping out and the tolling motor could barely hold the boat in place. Fly rods were out of the question. So I was using an ultralight spinning rig, a cheap WAlly World special, to cast jigs on oyster bar for reds. I'd caught two undersized ones and a lady fish. Then BAM!, a four foot tarpon grabbed the bait and my rod popped like it had never even been there. The first head shake and I was done.

Any suggestions for a rod that will take 1/16 oz lures and run under a hundred bucks?
Old 08-24-2013, 04:17 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spinning rod advice?

Check out the Cabelas line of spinning rods, I have always found their own line of spinning or casting rods to be very comparable to the well known name brands costing much more.

Dave
mridenour likes this.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:24 PM

ib me is on a distinguished road

You might look at St Croix rods
diamond rush likes this.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:02 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
I know this might be the wrong forum, but I know each and every one of you own at least three.:-) Today I was throwing a small jig in mangrove creek. The tide ripping out and the tolling motor could barely hold the boat in place. Fly rods were out of the question. So I was using an ultralight spinning rig, a cheap WAlly World special, to cast jigs on oyster bar for reds. I'd caught two undersized ones and a lady fish. Then BAM!, a four foot tarpon grabbed the bait and my rod popped like it had never even been there. The first head shake and I was done.

Any suggestions for a rod that will take 1/16 oz lures and run under a hundred bucks?
That sounds awesome.

Good advice has been given. I am sure that you could find a winner from those listed brands.

You might also want to look at some Shakespeare Ugly Stik Inshore rods. The prices are very reasonable, and the blanks are very tough.

Dennis
waterfordcreek likes this.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:43 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Dennis the Ugly Stik Ultra Lite is an excellent rod. And so are the green Cabelas 6 fters! But if you can cast a small jig at these Reds why not a Clouser? Is it the space?
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-25-2013, 01:20 AM

rogue runner is on a distinguished road

You might take a look at the Okuma SST rods, They are really good rods for the money and fit that price range. I don't have any experience with the fish you speak of but we have landed some good sized salmon and steelhead with them.

hope this helps

Meep....Meep.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:14 AM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

Maybe I am reading this wrong but why do you want something so light if you have small tarpon in the area? For inshore I'd be looking at a Shimano Teramar. You can pick them up for $110 and they have a no questions asked warranty. 3/8ths is the lightest they go though but that would still give you plenty of sport with the ladyfish and a decent shot at the small tarpon. I have fished plenty of them and they are great rods. When I got my "light" salt water rod I ended up getting a St. Croix Avid Surf 7' 5/8-2oz just because I always wanted something that could through out a good size plug or a live eel for the fall run stripers. With a rod like that you might start casting to the tarpon instead of the lady's plus it would make a fine snook stick.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:19 AM

irons is on a distinguished road

Check out gander mt gsx
Old 08-26-2013, 12:29 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the advice guys. To respond to two questions, ahy not use a clouser and why such a light rod? The answer to both is tbat its August in the Ten Thousand islands. The fish are feeding on glass mi nows and will ignore almost anything else. So what you need is a inch long green and white streamer. I'm fishing with a modified clouser with a white marabou under wing and a dark green flashabou over wing on both number six long shanked flies and 116th ounce jigs. Both seem to work well. But as too why not the fly rod, the bait tends to congregate in creeks. And qhen the tide is flowing, its all you can do to cast and keep the boat straight and out of the mangroves. Add a fish and its a three ring circus. A spinning rod is just more practical for solo fishing. Besides, a lot of these creeks are barely fifteen feet wide, so a back cast is an issue.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:59 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Ugly Stick.

Pros: Probably the strongest spinning rod on the market, bar none. Personally, I tied one into an overhand knot just to see if I could.

You can get one for about $30 at any Wally World.

Cons: Heavy; thing's made of fiberglass so much heavier than its graphite competitors.

Lacks 'feel' and not a great casting stick.

I may be wrong (it's been years since I bought a non-fly rod), but I'm pretty sure you can't beat Shakespeare's ugly Stick for price and sheer brute strength.
mridenour likes this.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark