The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By skrap
  • 1 Post By bigjim5589

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 05:35 PM

skrap is on a distinguished road
Default And........so it begins.....

As I mentioned the other day in my intro thread it has been years (29 or so) since I had really been FF. I was about 13 years old. From that trip to MT, so long ago, a great family friend bought me an inexpensive rod/reel combo but it worked great for my needs and skills at the time.

Earlier this week I pulled the combo out of the attic and dusted it off. The real immediately fell off as the glue holding the rear reel seat was no longer holding. Cleaned off the old dried glue and used and epoxy based glue to reset it. Worked great so far.

The rod is at least 35 years old and made of graphite. It is a Diawa Strike Gold SKG-44 7'6" #6. I took it to the local fly shop in town and got a whole new reel setup for this rod. My intentions for this rod is to get something I can practice with as well as for my son to use and enjoy.

Specs on what I got: Echo Solo 4/5 reel with #6 Cortland orange forward weighted floating line. They put the backer on it, Cortland line, butt section, and a 7.5' x4 leader. Also bought several more 7.5' and 9' leaders. By no means a high dollar setup but should provide some fun for me to practice and a nice little combo for my 10 year old.

The shop has a nice Echo combo I have my eye on that seems like a good place for me to start. Will post up some help in several months for help when I go to buy.

So it begins.......
williamhj likes this.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:40 PM

nc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: And........so it begins.....

Congratulations on your new beginning. I just started back this year also.
Mike
Old 08-24-2013, 05:45 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Well, we all start somewhere. The important part is that you're getting started.

Keep us informed of your progress, both good & bad. IMO, our misadventures & failures often provide us with more knowledge than our successes. When it's easy, we don't always learn what we need for those times when it's not so easy.

back!
siege likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 08-24-2013, 06:06 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back to fly fishing and good to have you posting with us here. If you're anything like most of us, it may become an addiction. You did it right by going to your local shop, when you're ready to buy a new one buy from them too if they've treated you right thus far. I hear good things about Echo from my shop.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:11 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Great to hear your return, hope you have plenty $$$