The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 06:51 PM

rogue runner is on a distinguished road
Default fly line question

I'm sure you guys get tired of answering stupid newby questions. but I am going to ask anyways, since I don't know anyone else that fly fishes and you guys are so patient

I am looking for a 9wt fly line and have found this on an auction sight, but not sure if it will work for my single hander. I mainly swing nymphs and wets in fast water.

Cortland Fly Line
Precision Salmon - Steelhead
Stock #: 463226
WF9F
Weight Forward Floating - Long Belly - Dual Loop
Line Weight: 9
Color: SL Green / Straw / Fluorescent Green
140 feet

If you have any better suggestions I would love to hear them. I spent all afternoon looking locally and had no luck finding anything. I can pick this one up for 45.00

Meep....Meep.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:08 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fly line question

I don't have any specific experience with that Cortland Steelhead/Salmon line but I'd expect it to have a long head/belly which is most desirable for mending longer distances. It sounds like it would be a solid option, you're on the right track. SA, Rio, Airflo, Orvis and most other well known fly line companies all have lines with similar tapers. Some of them are labeled as Steelhead/Salmon taper and others are not. This is one instance of where learning about the tapers of line comes can pay dividends.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:23 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough

Check on Amazon, they've got some more general purpose lines for a better price, they've got the Cortland 333+ for $27, but I'd go with the SA Supra for $30 (free shipping too)... just search WF9F
Old 08-24-2013, 07:39 PM

audax will become famous soon enoughaudax will become famous soon enough

Just checked the auction site. The listing I saw states "TRI-COLOR SPEY", indicating it's sized for double handers. Single hander lines are usually ~30 to 35 yds, much shorter than the length of the listed line. So I'd cross this one off your list.

What's your budget for a line? What rod are you matching it with? How big is the water you're fishing; I get that it's "fast," but how far out are you casting?
Old 08-24-2013, 07:48 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue runner View Post
I'm sure you guys get tired of answering stupid newby questions. but I am going to ask anyways, since I don't know anyone else that fly fishes and you guys are so patient

I am looking for a 9wt fly line and have found this on an auction sight, but not sure if it will work for my single hander. I mainly swing nymphs and wets in fast water.

Cortland Fly Line
Precision Salmon - Steelhead

Stock #: 463226
WF9F
Weight Forward Floating - Long Belly - Dual Loop
Line Weight: 9
Color: SL Green / Straw / Fluorescent Green
140 feet
PS: Disregard what I said. I just saw what audax found out.

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 08-24-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:03 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by audax View Post
Just checked the auction site. The listing I saw states "TRI-COLOR SPEY", indicating it's sized for double handers. Single hander lines are usually ~30 to 35 yds, much shorter than the length of the listed line. So I'd cross this one off your list.

What's your budget for a line? What rod are you matching it with? How big is the water you're fishing; I get that it's "fast," but how far out are you casting?
That's a good catch. They make both a single hand and 2 hand version labeled with Steelhead/Salmon. You want the 90 foot line, not the 140.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:15 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Orvis has some of their lines on sale. Even though I don't buy much from them, I'm still on their email list. The ones I peeked at were less than that $45 price, but didn't look much further since I don't need any lines right now.

Might be worth checking out!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 08-24-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
That's a good catch. They make both a single hand and 2 hand version labeled with Steelhead/Salmon. You want the 90 foot line, not the 140.
If I hadn't seen the line length in the first post, I'd have never even looked for the auction.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:28 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

The right or wrong fly line can make or break your fly rod. I would go to your local fly shop or big box shop (ie Cabelas/Bass Pro) and check out lines available for your rod and casting stroke. They will even spool the line for you.

Randy
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout champ View Post
The right or wrong fly line can make or break your fly rod. I would go to your local fly shop or big box shop (ie Cabelas/Bass Pro) and check out lines available for your rod and casting stroke. They will even spool the line for you.

Randy
I couldn't agree more. With so many line taper configurations today, a new fly flinger can easily end up with a line that is a lousy match for a particular rod or type of fishing.