The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 08:57 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Uh-oh...a new Abel reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker19 View Post
I am happy to see that I wasn't the only dead head that was going to jump on this. Dead gear + fly fishing + more gear = happy guy. BUT I'm not made of money and my current gear works just fine, I'll pass
Right. Cheapest you can get one of these is for $750... Quite a bit out of my price range. The parts list better be made of blotter at that price point.
fishers_fisherman likes this.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
Right. Cheapest you can get one of these is for $750... Quite a bit out of my price range. The parts list better be made of blotter at that price point.
I'm in the same boat! Those Abel reels sure are beautiful but being retired means they are out of my price range.

Larry

Old 08-27-2013, 10:24 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Jerry Garcia drove a BMW 750iL, so I don't think he'd quibble with a fly fisher having a fancy reel.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:54 PM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
At that price I'd expect it to catch and reel in fish by itself ! We all know that's not the case. I give credit to the great machinery and artistic design, I'm just to poor to take claim of one.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:04 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Yep. I got a 4N GD reel. Should be here this week.

Been wanting an Abel—felt like this was as good a time as any. Besides, I'm a graphic designer and I've always liked the steal your face logo.

Will it catch me more fish? No.
Will it catch the game warden's interest? So.
Will it remind me of some far off college days? I hope so.

Those were good times.

C

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 08-28-2013, 09:24 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
Yep. I got a 4N GD reel. Should be here this week.

Been wanting an Abel—felt like this was as good a time as any. Besides, I'm a graphic designer and I've always liked the steal your face logo.

Will it catch me more fish? No.
Will it catch the game warden's interest? So.
Will it remind me of some far off college days? I hope so.

Those were good times.

C
Well I look forward to seeing on a rod and in the field.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:46 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
If they make their nippers with a stealie option... I may eat my own words on owning a pair...
Ditto...

My local shop has that 7/8 I'm considering selling some unnecessary gear for. Also, you know you could get your money back out of it any time as long as you took decent care of it (which we all probably do)
Old 08-29-2013, 01:41 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I looked at the pictures of this reel and I thought about the reels I've been using all these years.................. Hardy Lightweight Series and Orvis CFO's have the longest tenure with me but I have others. I guess you could say that all my reels have what could be called 'traditional appearances' I couldn't get used to a reel with a skull graphic on it on my rod...............

Think of it this way; would this picture look as good with the Grateful Dead Reel?

Click the image to open in full size.

dean_mt likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-29-2013, 08:12 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I guess that's the point Are, beauty is in the eye of beholder. (But my answer, no. I am traditional reel guy too.)
Old 08-29-2013, 09:09 AM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough

Yes, Ard, yes it would. But my biases are showing.

I will say that if they come out with a Space your Face one next I might start selling some stuff off to pick one up. Shotgun, you're a graphic designer, you should take a crack at it, maybe start a cottage industry of "lot reels" to go with all the "lot shirts," wadda you think?

Click the image to open in full size.

And it goes without saying that the earth should be the drag adjustment... right?
milt spawn and shotgunfly like this.