The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By w_boughner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 07:45 PM

w_boughner is on a distinguished road
Default newb to switch rod and forum

hello i got a new st croix 11' 7 wt for my birthday from my wife and love it and am frusterated bby it at the same time!! I love it for the ability to overhand cast a full 85' line with ease but am frusterated that i can not seem to execute a 40' roll cast!!!!!! I notice that the stiff fast action rod its harder to load the rod to get the momentum in the roll so im thinking i should upsize the line but how much should i upsize???? I am thinking 9-10 wt wf ???is that too much ? would that be effective ??any feed back hints or tips would be great
mridenour likes this.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:58 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: newb to switch rod and forum

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. That's a great birthday gift from your wife, kudos to her! If you fill out your profile and add a general location, it is helpful to those who respond to your posts and to you.

A few questions that hopefully some members with familiarity to your area can better advise:

Where and what are you fishing for?

Size of flies?

As for lines, this is by no means a definitive, but have a look at the charts from Rio and Airflo. Look for your specific rod and see what they recommend to help you establish a grain window.

http://www.rajeffsports.com/spey_chart.pdf

Spey Line Recommendations - Spey Central | RIO

Another way to go that I'm sure will be mentioned by others....have a custom line made by Steve Godshall.

Good to have you posting with us.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:52 PM

i live in southern Ontario and i fish small waters like Bronte creek to huge rivers like the Niagara river .. fishing waters from 2 feet to 30 feet but for now im trying to get a setup that i can execute a decent roll cast or spay cast with floating line for small mouth bass and stealhead using #1 clousers to #18 nymphs under a indicator in 2-6 feet depth
Old 08-26-2013, 09:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum! I can't help with the switch rod advice, but I'm sure others with chime in and offer assistance.

Larry

Old 08-27-2013, 03:04 PM

Ok so im clear on this ...... (Rio)The out bound is the traditional wf line ??? So for a 11' 7wt with traditional wf I should be using wf 9wt ?? Or am I deciphering that wrong ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 08-27-2013, 03:27 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Admittedly, I'm still learning so I'm hopeful others will chime in and give you some information as well. I believe based on Rio's chart you are correct if looking at Outbound.

Here's a doc that may give you some information on the differences in lines.

http://www.rioproducts.com/skin/summ...nes%202013.pdf

From what you're describing, you're fishing small streams to large bodies of water and want to use this switch rod on a variety of water. I don't know that you'll find one line that suits every particular task in an ideal world. You could always go the route of getting heads and fishing with Polyleaders but it can get costly. The advantage is you can swap out heads based on where you fish and what you're using.

A couple of suggestions to you: If you don't have a fly shop locally that can help, try calling or emailing Rio, talk to them about what you fish, where you fish and how, you could do the same with Airflo. I will send you a PM with a couple of sources to contact that you may find helpful.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:05 PM

I understand that I will need 3-4spools of different lines to fish all situations the best but for right now I'm looking for a go to wf that I can turn over big stealhead streamers ,use an indicator and add a sink tip casting overhand and roll casting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free