The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2008, 09:50 AM

GRN will become famous soon enough
Default Re: More on Shark's Skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
"A friend of mine sent this so these are not my words."

Wake up Jack!
Old 02-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

In post yes, in person no...does that make sense? LOL
Old 02-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN View Post
"A friend of mine sent this so these are not my words."

Wake up Jack!
Hi GRN,

I see this is your first post and I wanted to welcome you to the forum. I will be looking for your post. This is a very friendly forum.

Frank
Old 02-10-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I hear what your saying Frank. I agree. I know for a fact the guy that wrote this does not work for any line manufacturer. The thing that peeked my interest was the #4.
We heard the same thing from our SA rep., when asked how it would hold up compared to conventional lines he said they don't know because they couldn't use the same methods to test it. When asked what they did do to test it, we were told he wasn't aware of any test information... for $100, yikes!

It sounds like it has limits that may not be tested to the same extent by the casual trout angler.

Frank, thanks, I look forward to seeing what goes on here.

TL's~
Old 02-10-2008, 11:30 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I got the chance to fiddle around with Sharkskin lines on several rods this weekend at a fly show.
I expected more out of a $100.00 line. The main thing readily apparent was the noise. I guess you can get used to it. Let's hope so anyhow.
I had two concerns other than the price. The biggie was when I noticed it was wearing grooves in the epoxy near the guides on the last rod we cast today, a BIIMx. Not at all comforted to see that!
The next thing is that they seemed to create a larger, noisier wake when stripping them in.
They seemed to be tru-to weight and cast okay but they didn't blow me away with any leaps in casting distance for sure.
Bottom line, I won't be getting one any time soon, even if they drop the prioce radically for fear of ruining the hardware on my rods. Until long term results are in, I'll stick with old-school lines thanks!
Old 02-10-2008, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

What little I have read about this line in mags and such, I get the impression that all they have done is changed the surface texture.
With all we're starting to hear about guide damage on rods it makes me wonder if they have changed the chemical formulation of the flyline surface material.
Other companies have experimented with surface textures before, but I've never heard about guide damage with them.

Wouldn't the line surface have to be harder than the guide material to cause wear this 'quickly'??
Aren't a lot of the newer rods using Titanium guides now?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 02-11-2008, 09:06 PM
ROVER is on a distinguished road

flyfishfever is one of the members who own the sharkskin on the forum. Recently we went up to erie for some steelhead and i was impressed on the floatation of the line. I didn't here him complain about his fingers but maybe i can talk to him and see if he will poat an update on the SS
Old 02-11-2008, 10:19 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Well one thing most that have tried the line agree on is that it floats great.
If, by the end of the summer, this line doesn't deliver like SA say it will, they'll loose a lot of they're customer base forever.
$100 for a fly rod is nothing. $100 for a flyline could mean if it don't work, someone with a large office and 6 figure income could be running the Slurpee machine at the C-Store by the end of the year.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:34 PM

dgd is an unknown quantity at this point

I have used the product for a couple of months. I have used 3 lines.
1) the factory loops suck! I had the local fly shop put on a shock absorber loop, 2 of the 3 it broke. On one line, it broke about 10 times, lost about 5 feet of lines!! On the 3rd, the part of the line where the double meets the single is starting to peel away!
2) the lines cause horrible rope burn.
3) the reason you dont see many complaints is that about %90 of the lines in use are of people who got it either for free or for $25
Old 02-12-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgd View Post
3) the reason you dont see many complaints is that about %90 of the lines in use are of people who got it either for free or for $25
3b) And are too busy fishing to post on forums

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford