The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default More on Shark's Skin

A friend of mine sent this so these are not my words. What does everyone think?

I just talked to a guide buddy on the left coast that works in a circle of pretty heavy hitter, well known, some well published guides... they have all fished the sharkskin lines now for 70-80+ days and have come to similar conclusions (primarily 8-10 weight steelie and salmon fishing):
1. it initially shoots and floats very well
2. it doesn't hold up... under magnification they see what was described to me as the nubbins starting to be pulled back to create little flaps = lots of friction
3. it does groove the guides, one of their rods (a relatively new rod) has been sent back to Sage for a re-wrap for new guides...
4. the word they got from SA is that it didn't go through their standard product testing prior to market release (for $100 they can afford to replace a few until they get it right?)
5. they have all abandoned the product
Old 02-09-2008, 03:04 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Re: More on Shark's Skin

don't know if its true or not as I have never tried the stuff. but I either read on this or another forum that it tears up your fingers also?

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Joni,

We have a member that uses the Shark's Skin but have no report back from him. That is not unusual for this time of the year. I don't remember who it was that said they had one.

I don't know that I can discount the line with a 3rd or 4th hand report. Those guys could be working for RIO. SA is a pretty good line maker and I just don't believe they would put out a line that wears out guides in less than 3 months of use. It may be true but I will wait for more reports before I make up my mind about the line. I did look on line for feed back about the SS line but nothing with long term use. I also didn't find any body that was bad mouthing the line but that may change with time.

Frank
Old 02-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I hear what your saying Frank. I agree. I know for a fact the guy that wrote this does not work for any line manufacturer. The thing that peeked my interest was the #4.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:17 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
don't know if its true or not as I have never tried the stuff. but I either read on this or another forum that it tears up your fingers also?
A friend of mine had that very thing happen to him. He told me it was very abrasive on his hands.

Personally, I haven't tried it yet so I can just pass on what a reliable source passed on to me.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
I read in 'Flyfishing America's" 08' gear guide that if a fish runs and you try to slow it down by dragging the line thrue your finger, your gonna recieve the line burn of a life time.

Although the magazine review was fairly complimentry of the SS, they still gave the award for best fly line to RIO for it's "Gold" line.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 02-09-2008, 09:45 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

I dont know if this is going to take off or not. I was reading their tech flyer
http://solutions.3m.com/3MContentRet...ersion=current

and it dosnt seem too friendly on you or your gear. I wonder how it fares in saltwater, as the satlwater dries it leaves salt crystals that could become abrasive. will it multiply the effects of the line?

http://solutions.3m.com/3MContentRet...ersion=current
Old 02-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

That is an interesting thought, I'm wondering also if the dimpled surface of the S/S line will collect dirt, or in your case salt.
I would think it is going to be a difficult line to clean.

But whudda I know, I'm not a design engineer.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 02-10-2008, 02:14 AM

wfosborn is on a distinguished road

I've been using the SS line up here a little bit, too cold to do much fishing right now though (Anyone know how to keep your guides from icing up?) It probably has about a week on the water so far, looking forward to seeing how it is after 100+ days out by the end up the salmon season.

It casts beautifully, and is very easy on the pickup. I haven't noticed it collecting anything more than my other lines, and doesn't hurt my fingers any more than a normal line either. I work with my hands a lot though so my fingers are fairly tough. As for wear on the guides we'll see what shows up . . .

Haven't tried it in salt yet, we'll see what happens when the salmon get here.

--W
Old 02-10-2008, 07:47 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

SA Sharkskin - FlyFish.com Forums&

Indian Rock?