The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 02:47 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of
Default 1wt or 2wt

I have been thinking about purchasing another rod,like i need one but i want one.So i was thinking about going with a 1wt or a 2wt under 7'long just for some real small streams.I don't really want to drop $500 on this rod.Give me some opinions and some experience with some lite weight rods i have not had one in years and the one i had 26yrs ago has long been broken.It was a High Serria Rod graphite 5' 6" 1 wt i think.I know TFO,St.Croix,and Orvis Super Fine all have these weights.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:07 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 1wt or 2wt

St Croix imperial 2wt. Under $200. Made in the USA. 25yr or Lifetime warranty can't quite remember. Only downside is reel seat is small. You need a machined foot. Cast won't fit with the use of a file. I have one in a 4wt... One of my favorites for tight quarters. Roll casts effortlessly.

http://www.flyfishohio.com/2-Weight_...erial_i602.htm
Old 08-27-2013, 03:18 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Current rods:

I have a 6' St Croix Imperial (I602.2, $170-190) that I use a lot. Both my own measurements and one in a 'shootout' indicate this is closer to a 1 wt, though.

I have a 5' TFO Half-Weight ($160). I'd say it's really a 1 wt. At least, I use it with 1 wt line. Some people prefer 2 wt line.

For non-current rods:

I also have a Sage ZXL 8' 2 wt. That rod is closer to a 3 wt in my opinion and by my measurements. I use either 2.5 wt line or 3 wt line.

Finally, I have a St Croix Legend Ultra 7' 6" 2 wt. That rod is a real 2 wt and works best with 2 wt line.

For little streams the Imperial and the TFO are real close to each other. Both will handle 12-14" trout without a problem.

For middle size streams, I usually use the 7' 6" rod, and for larger ones, the Sage.

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
St Croix imperial 2wt. Only downside is reel seat is small. You need a machined foot.
I'm glad you mentioned that. If you use a reel where the foot is too thick, it's very difficult to get off without damaging something.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:27 PM

Location: South Florida & the White Mountains of New Hampshire
MAD777 will become famous soon enough

I can't post the li k from my phone, but if you Google "Ohio 2 weight shootout" there is some interesting reading regarding about 22 different rods at varying price points. The testing was done by a committee from a fishing club. At least, these are the facts that I can remember.

I bought the Echo Carbon 7'-3" 2-wt. based in that test (from the budget category) and I'm tickled pink with it. I paired it with my Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock I reel and a Scientific Anglers Mastery texture Trout taper line. I can cast it 45' effortlessly with a nice turn-over, and I'm a horrible caster. That reel still feels heavy on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 08-27-2013, 05:07 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

How about a used Winston WT 2wt? I had one for a while, fantastic rod, a true 2 weight. I am a small stream fanatic, the brushier the better. Learned that the 2wt was ineffective casting the flies I generally use on such streams.

Moved to a medium-soft action, short 4 weight and have never looked back.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:21 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i have a 6' colton slipstream 2 wt. that i really like.
i actually use a wf3 line on it as its a faster action rod.
i recently bought my wife an allen ats 2 wt. thats pretty sweet as well.

ARFE
Old 08-27-2013, 06:59 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I have a 6' TFO 2wt signature and I have no complaints. There are a lot of 2wts available and lines to go with them. I would also like to have a 1 or 0 wt rod but I don't like the cost of those real light rods and line choices are few. I personally would stick with a 2 wt rod because of choice and availability.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:26 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

I just got back from trying out my new 6'6" 2wt superfine 1oz. its a nice rod.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:28 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

If you have a 3wt I would recomend going all the way down to a 1wt. A 2wt isn't going to be that dramatically different than a slower action 3wt IMHO. If you don't have a 3wt a 2wt is a great little rod.

I had an Elkhorn traveler 1wt and loved it, sold it because my wife went nuts and bought me a TXLf 1wt
Old 08-27-2013, 10:12 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

You might want to look into having a rod built off a blank, or building it yourself. The Orvis SFT 6' 1wt blank can be had for a song at Mudhole, and Anglers Workshop offers a blank called the Chalkstream Light which I've found to be high quality. Anyway, it's a another option.