The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 06:35 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default A message that I'm taking with me the next time I go to the stream

Below is a short message that a fly fishing friend sent to me tonight via e-mail. I've read it over several times and each time I read it, it sinks in more deeply and after I finish it, I smile more broadly. I actually think that I come closest to living the lesson in this message when I'm fly fishing; which, for me, is a very good thing.

This message may not be for everyone, and for those of you that it's not for, I apologize for this post in advance. But I think it 's worthy of a read and because of that, I'm posting it to the forum.

"A group of former students, all well along in their lives and careers, got together for a visit with one of their old Elementary School teachers. Although starting out with a lot of lighthearted chatter, the conversation soon turned to complaints about the endless stress of work and life in general.

Offering his guests coffee, the old teacher went into the kitchen and soon returned with a large pot of coffee and an eclectic assortment of cups; porcelain, plastic, glass, crystal - some plain, some expensive, some quite exquisite. Quietly he told them to help themselves to some fresh coffee.

When each of his former students had a cup of coffee in their hand, the old teacher quietly cleared this throat and began to patiently address the small gathering. "You may have noticed that all of the nicer looking cups were taken up first, leaving behind the plainer and cheaper ones. While it is only natural for you to want only the best for yourselves, that is actually the source of many of your stress-related complaints."

He continued: "Be assured that the cup itself adds no quality to the coffee. In fact, the cup merely disguises or dresses up what we drink. What each of you really wanted was coffee, not a cup, but you instinctively went for the best cups. Then you began eyeing each other's cups. Now consider this:

Life is coffee. Jobs, money and position in society are merely cups. They are just tools to shape and contain life and the type of cup we have does not change the quality of the live we live. Often by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee that has been provided to us at birth. Being born into this world provides us with the coffee, but it does not provide us with the cups. Enjoy the coffee. And remember two things:

One, the happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything that they have, and two, the richest person among you is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least."

You won't find me making another posting like this to a Fly Fishing forum, as it's a little off the mark and, in general, it's not my style. But I do have to admit to having a certain affection for "cups" and I plan to reevaluate them; all of them, on my next trip to the stream.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:39 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default Re: A message that I'm taking with me the next time I go to the stream

Someone on this forum very recently posted a very similar version of this story. It must be going around. I'll never tire of hearing this type of thing though, we all need to take the time (and frequently don't) to sit still for 5 minutes and evaluate where we are in life and just be thankful for what we have!
Old 02-09-2008, 06:50 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

ya who cares if someone got better equipment than you. as long as you got a stick and some string and a stream you will get through life.

actually all jokes aside. it makes lots of sense. I like it! just had to add a lil fishing twist to it.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:53 PM

pierce652 is on a distinguished road

That is an excellent proverb. One that I should really work on too. Thanks for passing it along, I too will pass it on.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:30 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

True enough! We might look like we just stepped out of an Orvis catalog but McFly I think said it best, a stick, a piece of line and a fly, sent over the stream by a man dressed like he slept outside last night and a slurp, a tug and a fish on! What excitement he would feel! Wow, he caught a fish! Bottom line in the fishing world, the fish don't care what car we drive, how big a house we have, what job we have or what we look like. That's one of the reasons I like flyfishing...on the stream we are all equal! It's good to reflect and on the stream is a good place to do it!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 02-09-2008, 10:18 PM

pierce652 is on a distinguished road

An employee at a local shop said it best...gear doesnt catch fish it catches fishermen.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:43 PM

Fishstick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce652 View Post
An employee at a local shop said it best...gear doesnt catch fish it catches fishermen.
Got that right...
Old 02-10-2008, 02:11 PM

plland is on a distinguished road

I know people in my life who seem to go out of their way to give themselves headaches, all in the name of "better cups," but who would be comple Nevertheless, this is a good message and I interpret it as fishing is the coffee, and the size of the fish is the cup. Even catching a bunch of little panfish is fun. It doesn't always have to be about landing a lunker bow.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:26 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

i'd love catching any fish no matter the size. even a minnow makes me feel good I didn't get skunked. I love to catch panfish. gills are a blast and chubs have even been know to make my day. to me its not about the size of the fish. its just being out on the stream. theres just something about it.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:57 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Makes taking the time to smell the coffee..make more sense. Just try not to lick the rim any more than you have to.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"