The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 03:52 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 3 wt advice

Scott F2 6'6" 3wt. I have one and absolutely love it for small streams!

-Chase
Old 08-29-2013, 04:22 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Had an Elkhorn traveler and St Croix Avid and loved them.

My blow the budget rods would be TXL-f 3wt or Circa 3Wt

If you can pick up a Sage ZXL 3wt at a good price it is a fantastic rod for dries and small nymph rigs.
jaybo41 likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 08-29-2013, 08:22 PM

jor fly is on a distinguished road

Ok guys you've sold me in the superfine. I'm gonna find one and cast it. Now here's the final question. 7'6" or 6'6"??
Old 08-29-2013, 08:30 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i would say the 7'6".

ARFE
Old 08-29-2013, 09:01 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

I have an older Sage SLT 3wt/ 7.5' for those streams yet it's capable of casting to 50 feet. Frankly I've been mulling adding a Winston BIIIX, ZXL in a 4 or 5wt but for the money, I've really enjoyed an outlier called Albright in the A5 line. It casts nice, has a good feel, is versatile in casting and is a steal at $150 or less. I have a 4wt and 5wt and am contemplating a longer 5 wt in lieu of the premium rods out there. I've fished both these rods on big rivers and small and never felt under equipped. Matter of fact is that both of my fresh water Sages are lonely I never pull them out. I've fished the TFO Finesse and that too is a nice rod.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:54 PM

44runner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor fly View Post
Ok guys you've sold me in the superfine. I'm gonna find one and cast it. Now here's the final question. 7'6" or 6'6"??
I would vote for 7'6". You can adjust your casting in tight spots but a 7'6" will always be better than a 6'6" in open water.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:04 AM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

I'd take the Superfine, 7'6".
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:26 AM

OK, one last question:

After doing some research, I see Allen has the Xa in a 6'6" (I really am leaning on the 6'6" because so many of the creeks here in KY and East KY where I fish are so tight, plus this rod will only ever see these creeks for trout and creek chubs and maybe some bluegill action). Now then: If you had the choice between the Allen and the Superfine Touch??????? (Price is NOT a determining factor here, I've just heard some good things about Allen.

Just to add one thing for this: Which rod could better handle small (size 14 lightly to moderately weighted) nymphs if I wanted to use a dropper, or light nymph rig?
Old 09-10-2013, 08:30 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor fly View Post
OK, one last question:

After doing some research, I see Allen has the Xa in a 6'6" (I really am leaning on the 6'6" because so many of the creeks here in KY and East KY where I fish are so tight, plus this rod will only ever see these creeks for trout and creek chubs and maybe some bluegill action). Now then: If you had the choice between the Allen and the Superfine Touch??????? (Price is NOT a determining factor here, I've just heard some good things about Allen.
I think Allen is a great company, and I love supporting them. That being said, the Superfine Touch is simply a better rod, and it should be considering its price. Not really a fair comparison between the two as one is a higher end rod and the other is lower-middle end (price wise).
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:43 AM

Thanks Nick!