The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   3 wt advice (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/329552-3-wt-advice.html)

jor fly 08-28-2013 11:11 AM

3 wt advice

I'm considering a 3 wt for closed in mountain streams in KY/Smokey Mtns./ etc. I'd like a 6'6" of 7'6". I'n having trouble deciding on brand though. I've considered Orvis Access, Allen X2, and maybe a St. Criox Imperial in a 7'. Anyone out there (especially those in the Appalacian mountains) have any advise for a good brand?

Thanks,
Jordan

mcnerney 08-28-2013 11:41 AM

Re: 3 wt advice

Jordan: Sounds like you are on the right track for fishing those mountain streams, any chance you can get to a location where you can cast the rods you are looking at? I may be wrong but I seem to remember that Justin (at Allen) had a program where you could try a rod out (leave the plastic cover on the cork), cast it some, then if you don't like it you could return it.

Larry

r reese 08-28-2013 01:09 PM

Love my Winston 6'6" WT 3wt sweet rod

tex 08-28-2013 02:05 PM

I have an Orvis Clearwater 7'6" 3wt that I LOVE. I really like to pick up the Orvis Superfine full flex when it comes to light weigh rods. I am eyeing the 1wt for the small creeks in the high sierras near me.

stl_geoff 08-28-2013 02:22 PM

I have used the 7' St Croix 3wt in the smokies and its just a fantastic rod for the area. Even thru all the fancy high end rods I now own, its still one of my absolute favorites.

trouton 08-28-2013 08:50 PM

+1 on Larry's advice to try one out if at all possible.

+1 on Tex's comment on the Orvis 7'6" Super Fine 3wt.

I got an Orvis 7'6" SF 3wt coupled with a CFO III Orvis reel for Christmas last year and fished it this summer in high mountain CO lakes and even down on a narrow stretch of the Eagle River. Worked great everywhere. It is a full flex rod and lays out the dry fly very quietly onto the water. I strung it up with a dry fly furled leader from Cutthroat Leaders which simply added to the presentation.

As the smartest man in the world says, my 2 cents are worth $37.96. :shades:

I know that all of the folks at Orvis encourage you to cast their rods before deciding. Stop by a store and see if you can get one strung up to at least try on the parking lot.

Good luck,
Roger

nickj 08-28-2013 09:17 PM

Another vote for the Orvis 7'6" Superfine. It's just a great rod. I used my 5 wt Far & Fine today for the first time in months and it felt really heavy after almost daily use of the 3 weight.

44runner 08-29-2013 01:48 AM

I have a 3wt 7'6" Redington Classic Trout. Great tiny stream rod. My 4wt 8' CT is my go to trout rod. That rod is such a great deal. Proves you don't have to spend a lot to get a lot. I use a Greys Streamlite 2/3 on the 3wt CT. Really like the setup.

jor fly 08-29-2013 03:15 PM

Don't know about the Orivs SF, I've only ever had the chance to cast a Helios, and I think a Clearwater, but I have casted the St. Croix and it's not bad. Still debating on some of the others.

nick k 08-29-2013 03:49 PM

TFO Finesse got very high marks as well. The Elkhorn UL rods also have a nice following and are inexpensive.

Personally, I have the Superfine Touch in 2wt and think its the best UL rod on the market.