The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 11:11 AM

jor fly is on a distinguished road
Default 3 wt advice

I'm considering a 3 wt for closed in mountain streams in KY/Smokey Mtns./ etc. I'd like a 6'6" of 7'6". I'n having trouble deciding on brand though. I've considered Orvis Access, Allen X2, and maybe a St. Criox Imperial in a 7'. Anyone out there (especially those in the Appalacian mountains) have any advise for a good brand?

Thanks,
Jordan
Old 08-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 wt advice

Jordan: Sounds like you are on the right track for fishing those mountain streams, any chance you can get to a location where you can cast the rods you are looking at? I may be wrong but I seem to remember that Justin (at Allen) had a program where you could try a rod out (leave the plastic cover on the cork), cast it some, then if you don't like it you could return it.

Larry

Old 08-28-2013, 01:09 PM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

Love my Winston 6'6" WT 3wt sweet rod
biggie_robs likes this.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:05 PM

tex will become famous soon enough

I have an Orvis Clearwater 7'6" 3wt that I LOVE. I really like to pick up the Orvis Superfine full flex when it comes to light weigh rods. I am eyeing the 1wt for the small creeks in the high sierras near me.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:22 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I have used the 7' St Croix 3wt in the smokies and its just a fantastic rod for the area. Even thru all the fancy high end rods I now own, its still one of my absolute favorites.
comeonavs and fly_guy12955 like this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 08-28-2013, 08:50 PM

trouton has a spectacular aura abouttrouton has a spectacular aura abouttrouton has a spectacular aura about

+1 on Larry's advice to try one out if at all possible.

+1 on Tex's comment on the Orvis 7'6" Super Fine 3wt.

I got an Orvis 7'6" SF 3wt coupled with a CFO III Orvis reel for Christmas last year and fished it this summer in high mountain CO lakes and even down on a narrow stretch of the Eagle River. Worked great everywhere. It is a full flex rod and lays out the dry fly very quietly onto the water. I strung it up with a dry fly furled leader from Cutthroat Leaders which simply added to the presentation.

As the smartest man in the world says, my 2 cents are worth $37.96.

I know that all of the folks at Orvis encourage you to cast their rods before deciding. Stop by a store and see if you can get one strung up to at least try on the parking lot.

Good luck,
Roger
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:17 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Another vote for the Orvis 7'6" Superfine. It's just a great rod. I used my 5 wt Far & Fine today for the first time in months and it felt really heavy after almost daily use of the 3 weight.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:48 AM

44runner is on a distinguished road

I have a 3wt 7'6" Redington Classic Trout. Great tiny stream rod. My 4wt 8' CT is my go to trout rod. That rod is such a great deal. Proves you don't have to spend a lot to get a lot. I use a Greys Streamlite 2/3 on the 3wt CT. Really like the setup.
fly_guy12955 likes this.

Last edited by 44runner; 08-31-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:15 PM

jor fly is on a distinguished road

Don't know about the Orivs SF, I've only ever had the chance to cast a Helios, and I think a Clearwater, but I have casted the St. Croix and it's not bad. Still debating on some of the others.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:49 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

TFO Finesse got very high marks as well. The Elkhorn UL rods also have a nice following and are inexpensive.

Personally, I have the Superfine Touch in 2wt and think its the best UL rod on the market.
fly_guy12955 likes this.