The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 09:11 PM

trouton has a spectacular aura abouttrouton has a spectacular aura abouttrouton has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Anyone use a GPS?

I recently downloaded an app called "Trout Stream GPS" to my iPhone. You have to buy and download each specific river that you want. I recently did that with the Frying Pan in CO before going there for my first time. If you also have an iPad it dupes there at no additional fee. I reviewed the river the night before in order to get to know it then the next day with a guide made a lot of sense as he named the holes and runs. Yes,you can mark a personal waypoint and name it and then return there. I don't always use it but as I said earlier, it helps on a new river.
Get your feet wet, 🎣
Roger
Old 08-30-2013, 07:47 AM

mattwolf is on a distinguished road

I have a garmin oregon 450T. It is awesome for fishing and hunting. Waterproof, compact, and extremely acurate with the 24K topo mapping. I dont miss anything with it. It is great for exploring. There is a new version out now called the Garmin Montana. Bigger screen on it, but most of the same features.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:51 AM

loringj will become famous soon enoughloringj will become famous soon enough

I have a Garmin 62s. Nice colour screen and does what I need. I like it for just going out and finding new spots that don't have trails to them. Found some good fishing spots by driving back roads and seeing how far I was from the river with it. Still doesn't replace my map and compass though for those emergent times. Battery won't die on my map.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:05 AM

dwtalso will become famous soon enoughdwtalso will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
My camera (Nikon AW-100) has a GPS in it.

If you turn it on, it geo-stamps each picture. It also records which compass direction you were facing. And it has built-in maps.

It's useful for getting back to that great location which you have forgotten how to find again.
Just a word of warning for others out there. Make sure you understand how your device is geo-tagging the pictures. Many devices add EXIF data to the image and those data follow the image everywhere. Including the internet. So when you post the picture of the pretty trout the exact location you caught the trout is included.

This may not bother you but be aware that it's happening and learn how to turn it off if you don't want it. Also, there are tools for stripping EXIF data from images after the fact.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:23 AM

moxnichts will become famous soon enoughmoxnichts will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtalso View Post
Just a word of warning for others out there. Make sure you understand how your device is geo-tagging the pictures. Many devices add EXIF data to the image and those data follow the image everywhere. Including the internet. So when you post the picture of the pretty trout the exact location you caught the trout is included.

This may not bother you but be aware that it's happening and learn how to turn it off if you don't want it. Also, there are tools for stripping EXIF data from images after the fact.
Including pictures taken by many cell phones. Intentional or otherwise isn't that how they located John McAfee when he went AWOL a while ago?
Old 08-30-2013, 10:27 AM

dwtalso will become famous soon enoughdwtalso will become famous soon enough

I've been fishing with a Garmin GPSMap 60csx for several years now. It saved my ass once in the back woods of Colorado but that's a whole other story.

Mainly I got it to track my fishing expeditions and what I quickly learned is that what you get with a GPS system is not just the unit itself but a piece of mapping software that becomes just as important as the unit. Garmin's software used to be MapSource (which I still use) but now I think it's called BaseCamp. Whatever it's called, the point is that the software, once you get used to it, becomes incredibly valuable in searching for new places to go, plotting routes to those places, and then evaluating where you wetn after the trip.

All of this can be done with paper but this is a case where technology provides a more powerful and efficient way to manage the information. For example, I have a road map and a topo map, and those are the basics, but I also have a set of overlays I got from GPS Hunting Maps that provides the property ownership and boundary information, both private and public, for New Mexico. Combined, I can "scout" the area I want to go ahead of time making routes, marking property lines, studying the altitude profile of the route, etc.. And the Garmin stuff integrates with Google Earth so I can pull up an aerial view of the location as well.

It's a pretty powerful way to blueline.

Now, having said that, it's important keep your confidence from being artificially inflated. The other important lesson for me is that there will always be something in the real world that the maps, and even the aerial photos, cannot properly convey. You will be better prepared for a lot but, I have found, there will always be something. The most common discovery for me is that the road that looked so clear and nice on Google Earth is actually a rutted jeep trail, all 10 miles of it.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I use a very old (but still working) Garmin eTrex Vista fixed to the console of my river boat to record distance and speed. This is really helpful in planning your fuel consumption for future trips. The speed feature has helped me to understand where I need to travel on the rivers to get the optimum fuel economy. There can be a difference of up to 10 mph without changing throttle settings between areas on river channels.

For actually plotting terrestrial trips I still use a vintage Suunto MC-2 compass set to proper declination. Old school,

Ard
cochise likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-30-2013, 11:36 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Brings back memories Ard. I have staked a thousand claims with my Brunton and a Chain. ... My Brunton is on display now, I take the 60csx. Sun's in the south at noon...and a good gps and I feel almost safe.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I hear you but it's the whole batteries and buttons thing with me I guess. I have a new GPS with an AK. topo chip in it but seldom use it. Right now I can't because I left it at the cabin..................

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-30-2013, 11:55 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

DOH! I hate anything powered mechanical. I can tear apart and field dress my Brunton but what do I do with a gps.? Throw it at a grouse when I get hungry.?