The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 04:37 PM

freak is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone use a GPS?

I've been thinking about getting a Garmin Monterra for hiking/fishing/camping. Anyone have one or another one similar?
fredaevans likes this.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:46 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone use a GPS?

I use to. But it just becomes one more thing to carry. My memory ain't sharp but I can remember holes/runs pretty well
Old 08-28-2013, 05:04 PM

audax will become famous soon enoughaudax will become famous soon enough

Whoa, that's a sharp piece of technology! A bit more than my needs. My handheld is an eTrex Vista HCx. Waterproof, reasonable batt life, microSD slot, and takes AA batteries. Suits me okay for now.

One other thing I like about the simple eTrex is that it's fairly small and light in weight. Being twice the size and a half pound heavier, I'd probably take the Monterra only where it's additional capabilities would actually benefit me.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:41 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

I frequently use my gps. I use a Garmin 60csx. A great unit. When I get home I upload to google maps. Its really cool to see where exactly you have been on the ground.

I like picking a spot that has no trail and setting a waypoint then navigating to that spot. Very fun and cool way to find off the beaten path locations.

Careful...sometimes there are cliffs.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:29 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I have 2 Garmin rino 530HCx (got em each for $480 about 5 years ago). They've since updated them to a touch screen (which I don't trust in backwoods).

They're GPS, waterproof, two way radio but the feature I really like is being able to locate the other radio within 2 miles so if my partner (wife) gets lost I can find her. Originally bought for our honeymoon when we were gonna hike the Napali coast in Kauai.

I sometimes use them with a fishing bud if we're gonna be far apart but still within site of one another...so we don't have to shout.

I don't take em all the time but it makes sense when we're hiking in to unknown waters off the beaten trail.

It also comes in handy each year when I mark waypoints of rubs out at the hunting ranch. Then upload to saved google map and get an idea of where to setup stands.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 08-28-2013, 07:23 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

My camera (Nikon AW-100) has a GPS in it.

If you turn it on, it geo-stamps each picture. It also records which compass direction you were facing. And it has built-in maps.

It's useful for getting back to that great location which you have forgotten how to find again.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:25 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

My camera has one built in so if I find a new spot I just take a pic of where I parked and then mark it on the map when I get home. Of course I'm not hiking miles and miles into a national forest. I usually fish within a couple miles of the car.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:39 PM

freak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishiowa View Post
My camera has one built in so if I find a new spot I just take a pic of where I parked and then mark it on the map when I get home. Of course I'm not hiking miles and miles into a national forest. I usually fish within a couple miles of the car.
That was what I'm really wanting to do...hike into shenandoah national park
Old 08-28-2013, 08:12 PM

lacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nice

I have a DeLorme PN60w that I picked up at an REI scratch'n'dent sale for $50 (IIRC. It was cheap). I like it - can have multiple types of maps, only limited by the size of the SD card. But it's probably overkill for most folks. I've used it a lot when hiking to various out of the way places.

Bob
Old 08-29-2013, 12:07 AM

moxnichts will become famous soon enoughmoxnichts will become famous soon enough

I have an old Magellan explorest 500. Its nolonger cutting edge, but we are usually off the beaten path on unmarked or miss marked forest route roads and in the end all the turns and trees begin to look the same. Have been way to lost on occasion to not have one or 2 GPS's in the group, not to mark the fishing spot, but to get off the mountain. We used to take little hand written notes, but when GPS' s became affordable things got much easier.

it's very unfortunate that too much of the area we like to go to is on fire at the moment. Especially unfortunate of course for more local residents and of course wildlife in the area. Had a tentative trip planned in two weeks, not sure what to expect now.