The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By stl_geoff
  • 2 Post By nick k
  • 2 Post By itchmesir

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 08:42 AM

bigfishbob is on a distinguished road
Default reel size

First, I want to thank you for your replies to my question on fly rod weight.
I ordered a Redington CPX 6wt
I have another question about reel size. From my research, reels typically come in sizes like 5/6 and 7/8. Looking at the same models are there any other differences than the line capacity and weight.
In other words is there any problem with buying a reel that is a 7/8 and using it on a 6wt rod with 6wt line?
I am trying to maximize the capability of my first outfit. Someone responded to my first post that the Redingote CPX was a fast rod and I might want to use 7 wt line, so I am trying to cover all the bases.

Thanks again for your help.
BoB
Old 08-29-2013, 08:49 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: reel size

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishbob View Post
Looking at the same models are there any other differences than the line capacity and weight.
In other words is there any problem with buying a reel that is a 7/8 and using it on a 6wt rod with 6wt line?
I am trying to maximize the capability of my first outfit. Someone responded to my first post that the Redingote CPX was a fast rod and I might want to use 7 wt line, so I am trying to cover all the bases.
Nope. with a 6wt you can fit a whoooooole bunch of backing on there. Does your new rod have a fighting butt on it? I tend to like reels that are slightly large on rods with fighting butts, helps balance the look out.
Hardyreels and fredaevans like this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 08-29-2013, 01:29 PM

nick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the rough

You might also want to consider what your next rod might be.

For example, if your next rod may be up a line size or two, and you get a larger sized reel, then you can simply get a new spool for the second rod.

If you get a lower sized reel, and you go up a rod size later, you will most likely have to buy a new reel (which is more expensive then just a spool).

The same situation works in reverse.
fredaevans and turbineblade like this.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:04 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I say until you are able to cast the rod. Wait on what others feel about the rod as a whole. The person who said they use a 7wt line on a 6wt may just be doing that to accommodate their casting style. Also not to mention all lines are not created equal. Some are true to at while others are a half or whole wt heavier. Personally I'd get GPX in wf6f and go from there.

As for reels I'm a firm believer in a reel for every rod. As you go further down the years and rods purchased you'll find it annoying and not well suited to use a single reel for multiple rods.
fredaevans and mridenour like this.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:49 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

You can use whatever reel you want as long as casting the combo is comfortable and feels right.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:40 PM

44runner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
I say until you are able to cast the rod. Wait on what others feel about the rod as a whole. The person who said they use a 7wt line on a 6wt may just be doing that to accommodate their casting style. Also not to mention all lines are not created equal. Some are true to at while others are a half or whole wt heavier. Personally I'd get GPX in wf6f and go from there.

As for reels I'm a firm believer in a reel for every rod. As you go further down the years and rods purchased you'll find it annoying and not well suited to use a single reel for multiple rods.
I have a CPX in 5 weight and it definitely casts better with 6 weight. It is a very nice rod but it is super stiff and fast. I run it most with 5 weight because it is my only 5 and but it does cast better with 6.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:46 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I normally do tend to use a little larger reel on rods. Just as a thought. Multiple spools are not an absolute must have for different lines. Lines are EZ to change out if you use a large loop in the backing end of a loop to loop connection. You just crank off the spooled fly line and crank on the desired line. Not as quick as just changing spools but much, much cheaper and still only takes 5 minutes if you handle the fly line storage correctly.

I am currently out of town on a family emergency. I just switched lines on two reels with no special equipment which took less than 15 min.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:04 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post

Total agreement with reel for every rod. Only slight difference from that is I use 'head systems' on almost all of my rods. The shooting line is separate from the head.

About the sole exception to this is my Sage 7100-4 XP. There are times/places a 2hander is just total 'over kill' for the fishing conditions. Line on that is WF8 with a very aggressive front end (Bass Taper?) For casting 10 to 30 feet that baby just works. Also spey casts very well I might add.

fae