The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 06:34 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How to fish a hopper, and some rigging questions

For trout, in mt., I like a parachutes hopper, just so I can see it. Close to the bank, and you were given good advice, namely that your side of the creek is the other side of the creek. THere is no shame in dapping.

I am down in SW Fl now. There is a swarm of big , think three inches, hoppers. Most are yellow, some are black. So I hied myself to Joannes fabrics, a chain craft store. They were having a sale so I got one square foot of craft foam for less than a buck a sheet. Tonight I intend to cut some matching strips, yellow on the bottom and black on top with sharpy colored rubber bands for legs. With luck this will work the bass. I would, if you,re rolling your own, reccomend a craft store and foam for terrestials. Its cheap, floats like a cork and will support a bead head underneath. I'm a newbie at this material so I will have to give a range report as tok how actually tying this stuff is. But in theory...
Old 09-01-2013, 02:11 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to fish a hopper, and some rigging questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiend540 View Post

It certainly does, but raises another one lol. So the way I have fished, and was shown how to rig is the dropper is attached to the hook rather than the eye to eye like is pictured. Is their an advantage of one over the other?

Both methods have problems.

Attaching the dropper to the hook bend means the fish has to take the dropper tippet into his mouth if the fish is to take the top fly.

The problem with tying the dropper to the hook eye is that this is hard to do when the hook eye already has the a leader tied to it. Threading a second tippet through the eye can be problematic if the top fly is a small one.

Both of the above methods have a second problem. By tying the dropper directly to the the top fly whether at the eye OR at the hook bend, the top fly CANNOT move naturally. It is affixed to the bottom fly and this restricts the motion of the top fly.

In Physics there is a concept called degrees of freedom. Any object in that 3 dimensional space has 6 degrees of freedom which that are important:

Up or down in the water column
Side to side in the water
Downstream or Upstream

It has 6 others that are less important, (it can spin right or left, it can spin up or down, it can vibrate side to side or up and down)

An object that is attached above and below is restricted.

I place each of my flies on droppers. So each fly moves independently of the other. And each fly has the hook unencumbered by a tippet. There is a reason that the English fish their "brace" of wet flies each on a dropper. Each fly has the most freedom to move as it can and still be attached to the deader by a dropper.

Click the image to open in full size.

There are multiple ways to rig a dropper system. Here are a few.

Blood knot dropper

Loop knot dropper

Loop to loop droppers:

Tippet ring droppers

PM me if you need tippet rings.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 09-01-2013 at 04:57 PM.