The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 11:40 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future
Default Pontoon Boat Fishing questions

My sons and I are looking at some 1 man class II pontoon boats for fall lake fishing. I have a boat, and have fished from boats for years, but never a pontoon boat. I need some basic info.

Is anyone on the forum actively flyfishing from pontoon boats ? What are the advantages of one size over another ? Got brand recommendations ?

Do you store your boat inflated or empty ?

Thanks for your input !
Old 08-30-2013, 12:46 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Pontoon Boat Fishing questions

Hi,

Joni and her husband use the Scadden boats on still water and are really into it. I would send her a PM and ask to speak via phone about the boats. Those two have it down to a science.

I deflate my boats and store the tubes in the garage loft over the winter but assemble and leave them assembled May - October. Mine are Out Cast pontoon rafts and I use them for floating rivers. I don't fish from them, I use them to reach distant downstream areas. I park and wade to fish.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-31-2013, 11:07 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi,

Joni and her husband use the Scadden boats on still water and are really into it.

I deflate my boats and store the tubes in the garage loft over the winter
Ard
Ard,

It's not just Joni and hubby ........ I'm also a Dave Scadden fan!

I purchased the Outlaw Escape (from Cabelas, only $700 ..... I think Joni's was a grand? but she makes big bucks with the ferruled leaders ..... I don't know how to make them? so I got the cheaper 'toon) A smaller float tube / pontoon hybrid. I put mine on my car top ...... and I keep it inflated all year (I try to go fishing every day of the year)

Mine came with oars, but I like to kick so much better. It's like a tread mill for me?

Kinda slow, but when lightning arrives ....... I kick so hard I pass the outboard motors!! LOL
Old 09-01-2013, 09:37 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I also fish from an NFO pontoon, but there are cheaper versions out there. I store mine inflated in the garage during the summer months, turn it on it's side along a wall and use a bungee cord to hold it in place. Just before it freezes I deflate it and store it inside the house during the winter months.

Larry

Old 09-02-2013, 07:54 PM

dpenrod is on a distinguished road

i have an outcast oncilla which is a discontinued model that was made basically for stillwater fishing, though i have taken it down rivers. the pontoons are 6 ft. and the frame is a one piece that slides into loops on top of the pontoons. no straps. pretty quick set up and the tubes are double bladders. if i had the money, i'd try to find bladderless myself. keep an eye out on craigslist for good deals. a buddy of mine snagged an outcast cougar for $200 recently. if you use fins, no need for anchors on stillwater.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:58 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Siege: I was hoping Kelly would chime in. He is over in your area and he and his sons fish the local lakes from pontoons, if he doesn't see your post, send him a pm with your questions.

Larry

Old 09-02-2013, 08:50 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Thanks for the responses so far. We picked up 1 used 'toon and will get a couple more for sure.
Lots of fun so far, and easy to manage. It will keep us on the water, but not in the water
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:00 AM

dpenrod is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
Thanks for the responses so far. We picked up 1 used 'toon and will get a couple more for sure.
Lots of fun so far, and easy to manage. It will keep us on the water, but not in the water
good luck in your search. got bored and went just to the boise craigslist. veritable smorgasbord of used pontoons. this would be outstanding if it is in as good a shape as he claims. new it is a $1300 boat: Outcast Pac 800. big enough to take down rivers, but not so big it would be cumbersome on stillwater.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:42 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of good responses. No two will ever be the same as it comes down to personal preference. My son bought a cheepo from WalMart and it was just that - cheap. He has already snapped around three oars to my recollection.

Mine is a Bucks Bags Southfork pontoon and I love it. The Southfork is a bit pricey in my mind, but it has a stainless-steel frame.

My son's friend bought the setup offered by Costco and, for the money, appears to be a pretty good setup.

For stillwater the choices are as varied as your wallet. Now, it you are going to be running rivers - not whitewater mind you, but rivers such as the S.Fork Boise, South Fork Snake, Henry's Fork, etc. make sure to get something with at least 9-foot toons and a good quality oar.

When I fish my favorite stillwater I like to use both fins and oars. The oars let me pull across the pond to where I like to fish, and the fins keep me in the action.

As far as an anchor is concerned, I make sure to have one on stillwaters because if I find a great spot I can anchor up and concentrate on the fishing and not worry about finning around. Some lakes are just too deep, but if it is a windy day an anchor is critical.

I prefer Force Fins brand fins, but they are way too pricey new. I found my two pairs at thrift shops for $3 and $7 a pair - a lot better than the $190 new. Caddis makes a c=great fin that you can step into with your boots and they lace up for around $35.

I have a rod holder, but only one. I have ample pockets on both toons for lunch, drinks and gear. I also put a swivel under my seat.

The Costco model:
Click the image to open in full size.

WalMart (left), Costco (right):

Buck's Bags Southfork:

Just my two-cents, hope it helps.

Kelly.
mcnerney and siege like this.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:59 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Pontoons are the best! IMHO, the very best way to fly fish!

My Scadden Outlaw Escape: