The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 04:40 PM

Location: The Old Dominion. But can be found exploring a blue line
motorshooter is on a distinguished road
Default That was too close!

I saw the dark clouds building up, so I made one last cast and then.....I managed to haul my butt back to shore...good thing, a nice bright bolt of lightning struck the other shore followed immediately by a sharp ear splitting crack of thunder

-I think I crapped my waders....
Old 08-31-2013, 04:50 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: That was too close!

I have a healthy respect for that free lance electricity. Scary stuff.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:19 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

I've come close too many times. I don't plan on doing it again.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:25 PM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

Glad you got out OK. I got hit this spring. Not good. Give lightning plenty of space.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:41 PM

moxnichts will become famous soon enoughmoxnichts will become famous soon enough

I guess that would be a little spoken advantage of cane and fiberglass rods. Nothing like fishing with a lightning rod!

Glad you were safe! My parents neighbor's house in the CA Sierra's got hit once. Actually the tree in their front yard and the damage to the tree and the house was substantial. At least it was in a rain storm or I suppose there might have been more potential for a bigger fire.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:07 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxnichts View Post
I guess that would be a little spoken advantage of cane and fiberglass rods. Nothing like fishing with a lightning rod!

Glad you were safe! My parents neighbor's house in the CA Sierra's got hit once. Actually the tree in their front yard and the damage to the tree and the house was substantial. At least it was in a rain storm or I suppose there might have been more potential for a bigger fire.
The tip-top is still metal. Which is a conductor. Rather safe than sorry. Put the rod down and head for home when the lightening is out. Nothing worse than mother nature telling you you're wrong.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:29 PM

hunt247 is on a distinguished road

Been there & done it! I was bass fishing out in the middle of the Mactaquac head pond with a friend. We could see the dark clouds of a storm front rolling in but didn't see any lightening or hear a single rumble of thunder. The fishing was on & the clouds were almost over us when lightening hit the water in front of the boat!
I'm not sure what was louder, the crack of thunder, or my 250 pound carcass slamming flat as a pancake on the floor of the boat! We fired up the boat, gunned it for shore & beached it, one of the craziest thunder storms I've ever seen!

Glad your safe! Mother Nature doesn't F around!!!
Old 08-31-2013, 09:37 PM

moxnichts will become famous soon enoughmoxnichts will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
The tip-top is still metal. Which is a conductor. Rather safe than sorry. Put the rod down and head for home when the lightening is out. Nothing worse than mother nature telling you you're wrong.
Yes of course very much agreed, that was a little tongue in cheek because getting to a safe area is paramount, but graphite is an excellent conductor, and fiberglass not so much, but in a condition like that its possibly moot. I guess it would have been the difference of Ben Franklin having his key on a string or piece of wire. He was probably lucky to be alive in any case.

I have no real life specific "real close call" experience, but have got off the water to be safe , and read about higher statistical probabilities similar to golf clubs and aluminum tent poles. The tree next to my folks house was absolutely shredded and when we went the next day to look at the damage this once healthy huge redwood tree looked like over cooked shredded squash with splatters of pulpy wood and burned areas along with a trough in the dirt to the neighbors house and even burned marks coming through the back of the sheet rock from the wiring in the kitchen, which was the only room I looked in. Thankfully they were not home at the time, but my folks were keeping an eye on the house for them. Nearly everything electric or electronic in the house was a loss.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:41 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

this guy got lucky i would say!!

Click the image to open in full size.

ARFE
Old 08-31-2013, 09:57 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that sounds way too close, be careful out there, it is not worth risking your life!

Larry