The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 09:02 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road
Default where do you buy your materials?

Where do you prefer to shop for materials?

For me I use a few local fly shops for the specialty items, but I also use craft stores and fabric shops as well.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where do you buy your materials?

Same here. Michael's has some nice 1/2" thick foam for Hoppers. As far as really tuff items to find, The Fly Desk has some great stuff. For bulk Sportsmens or Cabelas.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:28 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Same here. Michael's has some nice 1/2" thick foam for Hoppers. As far as really tuff items to find, The Fly Desk has some great stuff. For bulk Sportsmens or Cabelas.
Joni,

Joanne Fabrics for craft fur, chenele, and other yarns. Dirt cheap and many colors to choose from. Michaels for foam, felt, eyes, and "stretchy" vinyl cheaper than v-rib in several diameters. We have a art store called Pearl's art supplies, they have a huge selection of markers, wire, beads, and loose feathers. far cheaper then BPS or places like that.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Usually what ever fly shop I'm at that has something that catches my eye.

Blue Ribbon flies in West Yellowstone for any Deer or Elk hair, and Partridge or pheasant skins.

Trout hunter for C.D.C. and dyed Goose primary flight feathers. (biots)

Like Joni said, 'Michaels' has a great selection for closed cell foam.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-09-2008, 09:40 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

basically wherever I can get it. I go to gander mountain but sometimes they are missing the best colors for around here. then I go to the craft store for some stuff. hard to get items or colors I go to jstockard or wilderness angler online. sometimes ebay when I am looking for a deal. I have just heard of 2 places that supposedly sell fly stuff around here? but haven't checked them out yet. will have to give um a try. maybe they are the neighborhood fly shops that I could never find around!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Usually what ever fly shop I'm at that has something that catches my eye.

Blue Ribbon flies in West Yellowstone for any Deer or Elk hair, and Partridge or pheasant skins.

Trout hunter for C.D.C. and dyed Goose primary flight feathers. (biots)

Like Joni said, 'Michaels' has a great selection for closed cell foam.

With your signature I knew you would throw in Trout Hunter's. Harrops new place is awesome and the best CDC around.

WALMART also.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help it Joni, anything to shamelessly plug for one of my favorite flyshops. lol

Yes,Trouthunter is very nice. Not many places that you can sit down with a 'Master', buy him a Budlight and talk about Trout and life.

I've known Rene for a few years, I used to have a place in Island Park, he and Bonnie were my next door neighbors.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-09-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
I can't help it Joni, anything to shamelessly plug for one of my favorite flyshops. lol

Yes,Trouthunter is very nice. Not many places that you can sit down with a 'Master', buy him a Budlight and talk about Trout and life.

I've known Rene for a few years, I used to have a place in Island Park, he and Bonnie were my next door neighbors.

Well, now you are just rubbing it in! Get up there anymore? Maybe we could meet at Last Change and drown some flies.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

I havn't been going there as much for the past few years, since we sold the property(yes I'm kicking myself for selling), but the people that we sold to are good friends, they are in the process of building a cabin and it should be done this Fall, and we will have access to it most anytime we want, that was part of the deal.

I just told my Wife that I miss taking my rod for those early morning/late afternoon strolls into the Ranch, so I think we will spend a little more time there in the future.

We could definately hit the Ranch some time. I'm planning to spend the last week of October up there so I can fish Henry's Lake, hopefully my work will slow down by then so I can.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:53 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Does anybody use road kill?

It's been quite a few years since I scraped anything off the road, excepting some tail feathers from a turkey. Much of the cdc I use comes from the waterfowl I shoot each year. The natural oils aren't lost from the washing dying process.