The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By busbus
  • 2 Post By siege
  • 3 Post By fly_guy12955
  • 1 Post By busbus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 09:06 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re-prioritization progress

Well, it has been a little while now since I realized I need to make some changes. To be honest, it was all that flipping probing with little cameras looking at my innards that made me stop and think.

Well, I was all ready to start the Little Purple Pill but my doctor, who seems to love little pills, surprised the bee-jabbers out of me and said that we can try to deal with this without medicine, at least. Whoa!

The reasoning was because I was so adamant that all the Prilosec I took for ten or so years has given me osteoporosis (I have it in my spine and left hip). Prilosec and Nexium and other medicines like that leech calcium from your bones and can cause osteoporosis. Now, I know my mother and her father both shrunk a lot as they grew older and my grandmother had osteoporosis. So I think all the moons lined up and I got it.

I have been banned from coffee. Not even a sip. Darn it. I cut back drastically several years ago but would sneak some every now and then. She is allowing me my tea but I need to cut back on that, too. And other things like chocolate candy and other sources of caffeine-related foods. Darn it again. And spicy foods, too. Darn it and double-darn it.

I have been listening and, thank goodness, I have not had a gut attack like the one I had on July 4th since I have started. That is good!

But I have also made sure I have not been stressing myself out because of work. I have been leaving at a reasonable time--sometimes, even after only eight hours! Ha-ha: I haven't done that in years. And I have been "forgetting" to get on some calls I have with China and India at nights.

I have been doing a lot of other things that I enjoy more or are at least more productive. For example, I have gone fishing several times (of course) but have also done things like making a bed for my daughter's college apartment, moved her in, worked with the wife to clean out a neglected storage room in the house (this is taking a while!!). One of the things I drug out of the storage room is a plastic rolling drawer unit that we cleaned out. I confiscated it and now all of my current fly tying material is in it. (It is sort of cramped in it but it is in one place. I guess I need to buy another )

All in all, I have just forced myself to slow down. It all seems to be working. I think it is more about me slowing down and not as much on what I eat or don't eat--EXCEPT for coffee, I know that causes my stomach fits.

Thank you, siege, for checking in on me!!

I also have over two weeks of vacation days left that I need to take; otherwise, I will loose them. Trust me, I am taking them!! The wife asked me to take several days so she and I can do some things but I have ample time to get on the water. I can't wait!!!

ray
von behr, yonder and siege like this.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re-prioritization progress

Ray: good for you, sounds like you are taking this seriously and making good progress. Do some planning and take two weeks off with your wife and decompress and mainly just have fun!

Larry

Old 09-01-2013, 10:14 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Re-prioritization progress

Great to read that you've made solid progress on prioritization, stress reduction and health Ray. From the sounds of things, you've made sound lifestyle changes that should afford you greater health, happiness and hopefully more time on the water! Kudos for your success and laying it all out there on the forum. I wish you continued success!
Old 09-01-2013, 04:25 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of

Good job, Ray. I know for a fact that your being so forthright and open has not only helped you, but some others on the fourm.
Sometimes we plant seeds that sprout in unexpected places, and that bear fruit we never see.
Keep doing those things that continue making you better, the grandkids you don't have yet will appriciate it !
von behr and busbus like this.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:31 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

Congrats on making the changes, hope you stay with the changes, they will do you good.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:54 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Climbing the ladder that leads to a hole in the ground got me too.

When my wife said 'Mike, I love you but I can't live like this, seeing you destroy yourself. And you are destroying us too. If you can't LIVE, I can't live with the dead'

Really made me consider what was,,and what was NOT , important.

I have a life now, and have had for quite some time.

I'd even give up fly fishing for a few years there. NO JOB is worth that. That should have been a red flag to me right off.

So, pard, fish. Get wet, get muddy, get rained on,etc. Money can't buy such fun !

Mike
Old 09-02-2013, 08:05 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

You are absolutely right, Mike!!

The truth of the matter is that it is an easy trap to fall into. What irritates me is the fact that I have been working my tail off for the past ten years or so just to see outsourcing contractors take my job and I am able to wiggle into another one. But there is no way that will continue for much longer. Unfortunately, I can see the logical end. IT was once touted as the Holy Grail in this country but now it is something that is given to others. In the race to the bottom, I think we are winning.

*** Rant off ***

Sorry.

It has been a lot nicer recently because I don't have that crummy feeling in my stomach and throat and jaw is not there any more. And even though I have two plus weeks of vacation left, not all of it will spent with the wife! Ha ha. I love the woman (today is our 24th anniversary!) but we would drive each other NUTS if we spent an entire two weeks together with nobody else around. Know what I mean?

I also like the quote "Climbing the ladder that leads to a hole in the ground." I may have to use that... a lot.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:24 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
And even though I have two plus weeks of vacation left, not all of it will spent with the wife! Ha ha. I love the woman (today is our 24th anniversary!) but we would drive each other NUTS if we spent an entire two weeks together with nobody else around. Know what I mean?
Ray: I completely understand, when the wife was alive we were the same way, we did a lot of things together, but we also did things separately. She didn't enjoy fishing so I usually went by myself. Just keep adjusting the way you have recently, sounds like you are on the right path.

Larry