The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 02:42 PM

sterling woodsman is on a distinguished road
Default Multiple Fly Boxes or a "do all" box

I fish for bass and trout. Right now I have an assortment of about fifty flies (I know this will change) which consists of nymphs, wets, dries, terrestrials, poppers, streamers, and some other random things (eggs,worms, mouse etc.).

My question is would it be better to have multiple fly boxes (for each type of fly or maybe a trout box and a bass box) or is there a good "do all" fly box (like the upg daytripper maybe) that would hold everything from nymphs to poppers.

Just seems like it would be nice to just have one box to grab on the way out (or keep in the car) no matter where I'm going.

Last edited by sterling woodsman; 09-11-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:25 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Multiple Fly Boxes or a "do all" box

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling woodsman View Post
I fish for bass and trout. Right now I have an assortment of about fifty flies (I know this will change) which consists of nymphs, wets, dries, terrestrials, poppers, streamers, and some other random things (eggs,worms, mouse etc.).

My question is would it be better to have multiple fly boxes (for each type or even a trout box and a bass box) or is there a good "do all" fly box (like the upg daytripper maybe) that would hold everything from nymphs to poppers.

Just seems like it would be nice to just have one box to grab on the way out (or keep in the car) no matter where I'm going.
I think that both ways are valid.

I have lost count of all the fly boxes that I own. However I hate carrying more than two boxes. In a perfect world, I would only carry one box.

What I do for a lot of trips is make a fly box of the day. I will pick out roughly 10 to 15 different patterns in different sizes and colors that should do the job for me. If I did my homework correctly, I will have the right flies.

I also have specific boxes for some waters that I regularly fish. For my home water, the Lower Yuba, I have winter/spring and a summer/fall boxes. I have a stillwater box that is comprised of leech/bugger, nymph, and small terrestrial patterns. I also have a dedicated steelhead box with classical style flies.

Dennis

Edit: You can use Plano boxes as bulk storage, as well. From there, you can refill your other boxes. This is my Clouser storage box. Sometimes I take it on the boat with me.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 09-01-2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Added something.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:28 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

First, you fish for two very different types of fish so a 'box' JUST ONE for each. I watch (on occasion) TV fly fishing shows and look at all the crud these nit whits have stuffed into their vest and just have to roll my eyes.

Only time I've ever carried that much was extra ammo clips. But that's another story from another time.

fae
Old 09-01-2013, 03:42 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

I do similar to Moscapescador and have a go to box. I carry in my car a bag with multiple boxes as well as two big boxes one with SW flys the other large streamers and Clousers. I try to makeup one two sided box with all the patterns I need for the trip in advance then if I need more or something different I can always add at the fishing spot from my car boxes. If I'm on the boat I take one big box and add smaller ones to it. Even when I condense like that I always have more than I really need!
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-01-2013, 03:46 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

I carry a " general purpose" box thar contains an assortment of flies to cover a wide variety of situations that I may encounter. Most of the time, it's just insurance. The other box I carry contains what I expect to encounter on that specific area I'm fishing on any specific day.
A couple of weeks ago we hit a trout creek that had produced nice rainbows for years. That day ? No trout. Lots of little smallmouth bass. The general purpose box helped provide a fun day.
I have lots of fly boxes ready to go for different kinds of fishing. I don't drag them all along with me when I fish. I'd be pulling something with wheels on it to haul all that extra bulk I see guys wandering the streambanks that clank when they walk, 'cause they are packing so much extra junk around.
Go light, it's more fun. High speed, low drag
mcnerney and MoscaPescador like this.

Last edited by siege; 09-01-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:05 PM

44runner is on a distinguished road

I carry two boxes just because I leave the one I don't need in my bag so I don't misplace it.

So I have a small box stuffed full of trout flies. Then a have a pretty big box with my salt stuff and a few bass flies.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:31 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

If you can fit them all in one box, go for it! Personally I carry five, of varying sizes. A compartment box for dries, a small plano box for terrestrials, small thin box of midges, medium size streamer box, and a nymph box.

When I fish bass I just carry one box with a mix of streamers and popper, sometimes two boxes but usually the one works. I've found for trout I like the mix and they fit in my pack without trouble.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I do pretty much the same as the others, I have a general purpose box and then will carry one other box depending on what I expect to find on the river.

Larry

Old 09-01-2013, 05:35 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

My fly BOXES are proof that there are flies that CATCH FISH, and those that CATCH FISHERMAN. I've bought more flies than I need and then needed boxes to store them.

I'll save you the long trip around the barn and tell ya what I should have done:

Got a one-does all for TROUT and one for BASS. And THEN added boxes as I figured out what patterns worked CONSISTENTLY for a year of trout (I fish spring creeks year round) and smallies (way less than trout) on rivers. I could have stored "possibles" in a cheaper plano box then put in only what I needed or wanted to experiment with for that trip.

I could have bought a few tried (the local fly shop stocks mostly, maybe ONLY, the flies that work on our local waters) and true patterns in nymphs/emergers, dries, terrestrials, buggers, streamers.

But that would not have been any FUN. :-)

So I now have 1 6x4" wheatley box for:
- streamers (2 foam inserts + swing foam door) - BLUE
- nymphs/wets/emergers (1 foam inserts + compartment box) - GREEN
- dries (1 foam insert + compartment box) - SILVER
- terrestrials (2 foam inserts) - RED

I use the foam deck in my waistpack for buggers that go on every trip no matter the season (or species).

I am thinking of getting another wheatley box (4x3 BLACK no foam) to put in pre loaded threaders with TINY (18-24) flies.

All of those boxes (and a plano box full of assorted extras) go in the car. Only about 3 make it to the water.

That said I've been concentrating efforts on a local spring creek for a full year fishing it 4-5x a month. After I've fished it for a full year and documented my productive flies, I'll bet I can hit that water with ONE box of a mix of patterns and do just fine.

I keep 2 CF design boxes with SEVERAL system inserts full of bass fodder. I found the CF boxes to be too bulky so reserve them for boat fishing for bass (pretty much the only way to catch large size and numbers of bass on the local river). I keep the inserts in a big plano chest at home which may or may not make it on the boat. The inserts end up in a boat bag then dropped into the box I keep handy for quick access.

With the number and various kinds of wheatley boxes I keep for trout, if I ever get wild hair up my you know what and want to revisit my box 'strategy' I have options.

Best,
C

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 09-01-2013, 06:39 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

I started out carrying only one or two boxes each for bass and trout. Then I started tying. End of story on trying to go minimal.

Sounds like I try to do what others say. I have two boxes that I take with me on all trout trips. They have basic patterns for nymphs, emergers and dries for caddis, mayflies, chironomids, stoneflys, plus some streamers, attractors and muddlers. Got the idea from one of Dave Hughes' books and used that as a guide.

then I either take with me:

spring creeks - one box
N. ID, W MT - three boxes - caddis, mayflies, and stoneflies+attractors
Lakes - three boxes - chironomids, damsels & dragons, mayflies + others

Steelhead is a different deal. Two boxes. One for most of the time, and the other is full of patterns I use near dark (wakers, larger dark patterns, etc).

I do not fish for bass much anymore.