The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 03:38 PM

napaguy is on a distinguished road
Default Going to Pinedale, Wyoming Need Advice

I am going to be staying in Pinedale, for the first time, while my friend goes into the Bridger Wilderness on a guided moose hunt. I hope to fish the the New Fork and the Green for five days. I would like advice on finding a guide for at least one day of fishing on the Green. I would also like more info on walk in access on both rivers. Wyoming trespass laws make me very wary of making a mistake.
I do have the Flyfisher's Guide to Wyoming by Ken Retallic that has some good info but the little tips that would make a better trip would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Pat
Old 09-01-2013, 04:40 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default Re: Going to Pinedale, Wyoming Need Advice

Mcnerny hails from Pinedale, and he posts on here all the time with great information. He knows the Green very well. I'm sure you will not have long to wait before he gives you some useful insight.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Cheers,

-VB
Old 09-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Napa
When are you going to be in town?
I'm currently up in Island Park fishing the Henry's Fork and getting my b_tt kicked, this has to be the most challenging fishing I have ever encountered.
I'm using my IPad so typing is slow. I can detail all the public access points to you, lots of great places to fish, if I'm home when you are I will take you out, if not I can at least give you a lot of information, maybe do a float together if you want, I have a drift boat.
If you are still wanting a guide, there are two fly shops, Two Rivers Emporium and the Outdoor Shop.
Send me a PM with your phone number and I will give you a call.

Larry

Old 09-01-2013, 05:06 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Gary sats the big ones are right at the edges of the river on the Henry's Fork.

One tactic is to wade DOWNSTREAM away from the bank. For a right hander wade so the bank will be to your right. Go slow so as to not spook the fish with your wading and look for bank feeders. Use an elliptical cast to keep the cast low to the water and fish from seeing the fly rod. Drift the fly downstream to the fish.

You may have to go to a 12 - 15 ft leader to keep the fly line less visible.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 09-05-2013, 07:56 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Gary sats the big ones are right at the edges of the river on the Henry's Fork.

One tactic is to wade DOWNSTREAM away from the bank. For a right hander wade so the bank will be to your right. Go slow so as to not spook the fish with your wading and look for bank feeders. Use an elliptical cast to keep the cast low to the water and fish from seeing the fly rod. Drift the fly downstream to the fish.

You may have to go to a 12 - 15 ft leader to keep the fly line less visible.
Silver: Thanks for the info. I didn't see it until just now, but will definitely use it the next time I'm up there. I will go earlier in the year so the weeds aren't so frustrating, very hard to get a decent presentation with all that junk floating on the surface.

Larry

Old 09-05-2013, 08:09 AM

roadkill1948 is on a distinguished road

A buddy and I were in that area a couple of years ago. One of the highlights of our trip was an afternoon at Meadow Lake fishing for grayling. Meadow lake is east of Pinedale and north of Boulder and Burnt lakes. We had real good results by following the shoreline to the left from the launch site to a "notch"/bay, lots of activity with a nymph and slow retrieve.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill1948 View Post
A buddy and I were in that area a couple of years ago. One of the highlights of our trip was an afternoon at Meadow Lake fishing for grayling. Meadow lake is east of Pinedale and north of Boulder and Burnt lakes. We had real good results by following the shoreline to the left from the launch site to a "notch"/bay, lots of activity with a nymph and slow retrieve.
I ran into a nice Calibaetis hatch up there a couple weeks ago, casting dries to risers was a blast while the hatch lasted. Then the wind came up so I tied on a nymph and small leech pattern and let the wind drift me back toward the boat ramp and caught another 6 fish, lots of fun on a small rod. I think I was using a 4 wt. Boy that road sure is rough up toward the top, you definitely need a high clearance vehicle to get in there.

Larry

Old 09-05-2013, 11:06 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Larry.. just had to comment on this.. nice!