The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By itchmesir
  • 1 Post By enolaeagle
  • 1 Post By itchmesir
  • 3 Post By ted4887

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 08:06 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Fly line deals at Gander Mountain

I'm not sure if this holds true to all locations but I was at the Gander Mountain at the Lycoming Mall near Williamsport, Pa and the fly dept had almost the full line of Scientific Angler's Mastery series on blowout for $39-$59.
Trout, expert distance, gpx, xps, nymph, streamer express etc... it might be worth a look if anyone needs some line and a location is nearby.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 09-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly line deals at Gander Mountain

Todd
Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely take a look online to see if the same sale is going on.

Larry

Old 09-01-2013, 08:47 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Not that I've run into this problem. But a friend of mine has bought clearanced out line from GM only to find out the line was clearly used. Think they just toss returned items back on the rack without inspection. Also both the Ganders by me carry mostly old stock. Not that it's an issue as there's no direct sunlight in the store
enolaeagle likes this.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:38 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

That thought did cross my mind. I remember 2 of the boxes looked a little worn. For the most part, seemed like everything was brand new... all that said, it was alot of specific purpose line that your average joe doesnt buy. Id say it could be a decent deal if your looking for something other than a standard trout or float line.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 09-01-2013, 11:34 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

The gander here still tries to sell off wet-tip express which has long been replaced by streamer express
enolaeagle likes this.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:54 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by enolaeagle View Post
I was at the Gander Mountain at the Lycoming Mall near Williamsport, Pa

Eagle,

I always stop at the Gander Mountain right here in York. As far as "used" goes, always grab a box from the middle ..... never the front! Just pretend you are looking and check for a brand new box!

I have Sharkskin (too rough on the fingers, not good for stripping at all) and the Orvis top shelf line (just before Hydros, but way expensive) and the line was terrible for me! I went to "don't laugh" WalMart and got some WF4F for about $20 ...... the best line I ever used on my 4 wt!
Old 09-02-2013, 03:51 PM

ib me is on a distinguished road

At least your stores have fly fishing stuff.The one in Winchester Va. has all but gotten rid of fly gear,They have more clothes than anything else. The place is useless
Dennis
Old 09-02-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ib me View Post
At least your stores have fly fishing stuff.The one in Winchester Va. has all but gotten rid of fly gear,They have more clothes than anything else. The place is useless
Dennis
The one closest to me expanded their fly fishing selection while the other one which is probably an hr from me downsized dramatically.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:07 PM

lefty2 is on a distinguished road

the gm closest to me has very little in the way of fly fishing anymore. seems as though they concentrate on ammo, gun sales and women's clothing. when i need an item for the outdoors, they have become my very last choice. just too many bad experiences there. (n.e. ohio),
Old 09-04-2013, 08:19 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
Not that I've run into this problem. But a friend of mine has bought clearanced out line from GM only to find out the line was clearly used. Think they just toss returned items back on the rack without inspection. Also both the Ganders by me carry mostly old stock. Not that it's an issue as there's no direct sunlight in the store
That friend was me.

I also bought one from Gander that was completely empty of fly line. That was my own fault though, as I should have noticed how light that 300gr streamer express line felt, or that there was no line showing in the little window box. Never again will I not look in the box for the fly line.

I've had my fair share of problems with Gander in the past, and generally try to avoid doing business with them if I can. I like to support the local guys anyways.
lefty2, itchmesir and enolaeagle like this.

Last edited by ted4887; 09-04-2013 at 10:26 PM.