The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 09:25 AM

bigfishbob is on a distinguished road
Default Tippet Yes or No Help!

I will be getting my first rod and reel this week. In looking at web sites for setting up my line I found one that shows using a tippet between the fly line and the leader, and one that shows attaching a tapered leader directly to the fly line.
I am now confused. Does a tapered leader replace the tippet and a non tapered leader?
I need to understand this a little better before I go to the fishing store to buy this stuff.
Thanks in advance for your help

Bob
Old 09-03-2013, 09:33 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice
Default Re: Tippet Yes or No Help!

Do you plan on purchasing a fly line that has a built in loop on the end? I would and use tapered leaders with a loop end to make things simple for a while anyway. It is a replacement for tying up your own leader and tippet.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:37 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishbob View Post
I will be getting my first rod and reel this week. In looking at web sites for setting up my line I found one that shows using a tippet between the fly line and the leader, and one that shows attaching a tapered leader directly to the fly line.
I am now confused. Does a tapered leader replace the tippet and a non tapered leader?
I need to understand this a little better before I go to the fishing store to buy this stuff.

Bob
Not knowing what equipment you will be getting, but the "standard" is just a tapered leader nail knotted to the end of the fly line. Where the extra tippet material comes into play is replacing the end of the leader as it wares over time. Only thing to keep in mind is the end of the tapered leader is 'x pound test.'

The replacement material CAN NOT/should not exceed that. How long a leader? Depends, but (there are real exceptions to this) 9' will cover you 95% of the time in moving water. For still water fishing 12' is plenty.

Fred
Old 09-03-2013, 09:37 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:

Bob
Tippet goes between the leader and the fly. The tapered leader either goes loop-to-loop to the fly line or tied directly on with a nail knot.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:41 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

In my opinion, a tapered leader is not a replacement for tippet, unless you want to plow through leaders quickly and spend a lot of money. The tapered leader connects to the end of the fly line (preferably loop to loop connection if your line has a loop and so does the leader, which most all do now), and 1-3ft of tippet go on the end of the tapered leader. The tippet basically serves the purpose of being disposable tips to the leader that you can use and replace without sacrificing more costly leader material.

The tippet also serves to narrow down to line to the exact diameter you want (e.g. 3x, 4x, 5x, 6x). If you are going for trout, I'd say pick up some cheap tapered leaders, then pick up a few spools of tippet (4x, 5x, and 6x should be fine for starting out). If you want an even better setup, pick up a few furled leaders (maybe from Cutthroat leaders, the board sponsor) with tippet rings, then just tie the tippet onto the ring. You might be able to use that one leader for a full year, and only have to worry about replacing tippet.
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:01 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Added thought on choosing the 'proper' tapered leader. As the breaking strength (tip) goes up the butt section gets thicker so choose one that's appropriate for your line weight. +1 to Nick's comment about the use of Furled leaders (you do want the ring end). They're the 'Cats Meow,' I even use them on my lighter spey rods. Things will lay out as straight as a stick.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:08 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I am now confused. Does a tapered leader replace the tippet and a non tapered leader?Bob
Tapered leader includes tippet. When it comes out of the package it can go from your fly line to the fly. So a 5x tapered leader starts rather thick and ends in 5x tippet. However, pick up spools of tippet. As you tie on flies and cut them off or break them off your tippet section of the tapered leader will will shorten and thicken and you'll need to add more tippet.

Also, if you're using a 4x tapered leader and you start fishing smaller dry flies on smooth water you might want to add a couple feet of 5x or 6x tippet to the end. All that to say, I'd buy spools of tippet, perhaps 2x or 3x up to 6x to supplement the tapered leaders I buy.

Or, you could pick up some furled leaders from Cutthroat and just add tippet
Old 09-03-2013, 12:06 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

For casting practice, just use a straight length of monofilament (6-9 feet) tied to the end of your fly line -- it keeps things simple and you'll likely be putting a lot of knots into your tapered leader anyway, so save your money but ruining the regular line .

"Tippet" is just the end of the leader -- fly shops sell it in spools with "x" distinctions which specify the thickness of the tippet.

I don't use tapered leaders often, and I never use store-bought tippet matieral because I don't think it's necessary whatsoever -- for warm water I usually tie a 2-piece leader using a few feet of 8 pound mono and another few feet of 4-6 pound mono for "tippet" and then tie the fly on. Regular monofilament acts as my "leader and tippet".

Tapered leaders with a heavy butt section that narrows down to light tippet are primarily beneficial with dry fly fishing for trout because they excel at delicate presentations on the surface -- don't think for a second that you need to buy this stuff to go fishing and that you'll be handicapped without it. You won't.

I *just* fished the Jackson River (VA) all weekend long and caught quite a few trout each day using soft hackles and a leader that was nothing more than 7-9' of 4 pound monofilament. A tapered leader would have provided absolutely no benefit to this subsurface fishing --
fredaevans likes this.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:25 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

All great info. We all end up doing things the way we see as the right way. It's not always the same.
I think the "average" fisherman here attaches the tapered leader, OR furled leader to the fly line, and adds tippet to the end of the leader, as use (and abuse ) dictates.
I have a fishin' buddy who only adds tippet when the leader gets too thick to fit into the eye of a fly. Other than that, he's fairly normal
Old 09-03-2013, 03:45 PM

"TB" makes a very good point: "For casting practice, just use a straight length of monofilament (6-9 feet) tied to the end of your fly line -- it keeps things simple and you'll likely be putting a lot of knots into your tapered leader anyway, so save your money but ruining the regular line ."

Just add one thing: You need to tie a bit of yarn to the end of the leader or all you'll get is a lot of 'whip crack' as the leader breaks the sound barrier. No kidding, it is moving that fast (think the end of a 'Bull Whip').