The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 01:53 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all
Default What's your location

What's up with people that don't show their location on a forum. I don't expect a street address, just your state, province or territory. This forum is pretty good , but another forum that I participate, they are terrible for indicating their location, as if they are in hiding or something. I constantly have to ask when inquiring about an item for sale. If they are in Canada, I save customs duties. Has anyone else noticed this lack of info on individuals bio? Is it important to you or is it just me? I stop bitc...g now.
fysh, mcnerney, fredaevans and 4 others like this.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:05 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: What's your location

i hazard the guess that most folks skip the 'additional information' about themselves unless is required at sign up.
I had a bunch of stuff on my page here, but took it down after a while.
motorshooter likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 09-03-2013, 02:55 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Many of us are reluctant to post much personal info, for fear that when the Canadians invade, they will take all our fly rods back with them after martial law is invoked.
We would become a duty free port for the Commonwealth, and be forced to speak better English, eh. Well not me !
I'll give up my flyrod when they pry it from my cold dead fingers, eh?

But seriously, yes. Please add your location, folks !
bigjim5589, fysh, mcnerney and 6 others like this.

Last edited by siege; 09-03-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:24 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Location is important because it helps add context to advice and reports.

"Help me ID this bug" becomes a lot more relevant if you can just glance up and see where the poster is located. Likewise with "How do I catch small-stream brookies?"
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:30 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: What's your location

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
Many of us are reluctant to post much personal info, for fear that when the Canadians invade, they will take all our fly rods back with them after martial law is invoked.
We would become a duty free port for the Commonwealth, and be forced to speak better English, eh. Well not me !

Being Canadian, we're already here ......

But I totally agree with the point of this thread. Read a thread where a question is being asked, mostly about 'gear,' the first thing I do is look for a location. What may be 'appropriate' for my area may be well off the mark for theirs.

FOLKS! I get very tired of asking the most obvious questions just to get a context! And I'm sure I'm not alone. Posters ask a 'good question' but if you have no locational context how to answer, what could you constructively add? Including nothing.

fae
Old 09-03-2013, 04:28 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Curious, while I assume that most Americans know what DFW is, do most Canadiens?
Old 09-03-2013, 04:31 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

To some extent I agree. DFW, I assume is Dang far west . The state would be nice. I do know by the way.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:47 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Quote:

Why as Canadians would we ever invade anyone. We have it all, very seldom brag about it and are a happy nation. I wouldn't want your fly gear anyway, I have enough (almost enough) to be fairly content. eh !!! On this issue of posting, I see that we agree.
fredaevans and siege like this.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:30 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Worst part would be spelling color and honor with a 'u'. That and pronouncing 'z', zed
von behr likes this.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:29 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

I once had an unpleasant time with a...how to put it...um...nut case (not on this forum) and ever since then I try to remain a little vague on exact details on line. My location is about as precise as I am comfortable with.