The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By bigjim5589
  • 1 Post By jaybo41
  • 2 Post By enolaeagle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 08:27 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Help out a noob :)

I pretty much enjoy all the different local holes that I fish but would like a taste of something new. I've never really paid attention to salmon and steelhead fishing since its obviously not local. So where's the best places from Harrisburg area? I would have no issues driving a couple hours and shacking up in a motel for a night or 2... or consider a real trip sometime.
I was never much interested in lake fishing so I'd most likely be more into a river setting.
Discuss.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 09-03-2013, 08:47 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Help out a noob :)

Never tried it, but have heard the Salmon River @ Pulaski, NY or up in the Erie, PA area tributaries both has some Steelhead & Salmon fishing opportunities. Either would not be extreme distances from Harrisburg.

Perhaps someone has experience they can share for either!
jaybo41 and enolaeagle like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 09-03-2013, 09:25 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Jim nailed my first two suggestions, those are likely the closest to Harrisburg. Couple of others would be the NY tribs to Lake Erie (steelhead) or the Ontario tribs between Buffalo and Rochester for salmon. Ohio's fish are generally spring run fish but their tribs do get some of PA's Steelhead migrating into them. I'm more familiar with Erie's tribs than any of the others.

If you like solitude, any of these places are probably not for you. Yes, you can walk and find some open space but generally speaking it's full on combat fishing. Guys and gals like to hunt big fish.
enolaeagle likes this.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:30 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
If you like solitude, any of these places are probably not for you. Yes, you can walk and find some open space but generally speaking it's full on combat fishing. Guys and gals like to hunt big fish.
That's not necessarily a problem. .. if need be, I could wear Zubaz pants, jimmy buffet tshirt and a sombrero. People would clear away
jaybo41 and siege like this.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 09-03-2013, 09:50 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by enolaeagle View Post
That's not necessarily a problem. .. if need be, I could wear Zubaz pants, jimmy buffet tshirt and a sombrero. People would clear away
You could try that I suppose but you may be overdressed for some of the yokels I've seen on some of those tribs. Just sayin...
Old 09-04-2013, 11:55 AM

I contacted a friend in Rochester hoping he'd know something... and of course he claims to know absolutely nothing about fishing
(I may have to unfriend him on fb for that..)

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...