The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 07:21 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice
Default New Silver Sonic Zippered Waders

Orvis just came out with some new Silver Sonic Zippered Waders that look pretty nice. I know there some fans of the Silver Sonics here so I thought I'd just give a heads up.

What exactly are the advantages to the front zipper? Just easier to put the waders on or does it make them convertible to hip waders as well?
Old 09-04-2013, 07:34 AM

jgros001 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Silver Sonic Zippered Waders

Having bought the Silver Sonics earlier this year, I am not about to replace them anytime soon but sure wish I had splurged for something with a front zipper. The advantage I have noticed is that it allows using the "facilities" much easier.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:40 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

I see a huge advantage in letting the horse out of the gate. No taking off the vest, jacket and undoing suspenders to take a quick relief break!!!!

I'm going to have to take a look at getting some of those next year.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:21 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Good point. I guess I've never had to wear waders long enough for that to be a problem.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:19 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Man I have! Trying not to pee on the front of your waders is a skill like keeping your backcast off the water -
mridenour and jgros001 like this.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:22 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Yeah and then remembering to button my pants before putting myself back together is getting harder to do. I don't think about it till my pants fall into the legs of my waders. Think I am getting senile!
Old 09-04-2013, 04:13 PM

pm287 is on a distinguished road

I have another brand with a zipper and I like them. Besides the facility access it is easier to put on and take off....more like pants. If it is warm just unzip, any air to the body core is a good cooling mechanism. I will take a look the Silver Sonic Zippered Waders next time.
Thanks and have a great day
Paul
Old 09-04-2013, 06:10 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Guess you gotta ask yourself if a zipper is worth $150... $395.... Original Silver Sonics are $250....

I've also thought of these zippers as just one more thing that can possibly fail while in the field. KISS.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:36 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
I see a huge advantage in letting the horse out of the gate. No taking off the vest, jacket and undoing suspenders to take a quick relief break!!!!

I'm going to have to take a look at getting some of those next year.
And there it is, the answer. Zip up waders are nice if you have the cash. I had lot of tax money and bought zip up waders.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
Guess you gotta ask yourself if a zipper is worth $150... $395.... Original Silver Sonics are $250....

I've also thought of these zippers as just one more thing that can possibly fail while in the field. KISS.

I agree and disagree. Even though they are one more thing that can fail, sometimes I REALLY, REALLY have to pee and a even a single minute to faster relief can be worth a lot to me...especially as I get older.