The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By trout trekker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 07:54 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Suggestions for TU local chapter

Hi gents and ladies,
Last night I attended a board meeting of our local chapter and kindly offered my communications/design/web/fb services to help in their efforts.

I have some ideas of what I'd like to see happen with their web/fb/twitter efforts, was wondering if any of you might share a few things you like or don't like about your local chapter's online presence.

While not directly associated with member outreach and such, I have a sneaky feeling folks would like my efforts to help energize the member body...

Here are some things I think a TU local chapter online presence should do:

1. Photos and in depth interviews with their guest speakers (beyond what the speaker says/does at the actual event).

2. More in depth write ups of trips taken to local fishing locales...not links to other people's blogs. Author's would be credited but no links.

3. More info/photos on local species, not links to wikipedia or someone else's site.

4. A section on history of local waters.

5. Member of the month recognition? Small profile and photo.

6. Classifieds/swaps/freebie section, maybe some free swag from manufacturers.

7. Lunker log - Running records of biggest fish (of a local species), angler, date, fly and measurements.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 09-04-2013, 08:28 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suggestions for TU local chapter

All of the above.

The most 'grab' photo I've ever seen (not TU) was a couple of long tables with an 'Adult' sitting next to a kid with a vise (or should that be 'vice'?) in front tying a fly.

Caption under the photo: "This is what we do."

You also (I may have missed this above) need is a blog site link. Some of the best reading I've ever run into. This is where you'll find the most fun stuff.

Fred
Old 09-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like you have put some serious thought into improving the TU Chapter web site, I'd love to see your suggestions implemented.

Larry
fredaevans and shotgunfly like this.

Larry
Old 09-04-2013, 09:37 AM

trout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to all

Looks like you’ve got a strong grasp on the layout and content.

Might want to add a section containing any conservation / fisheries / watershed issues that the chapter is involved in.

Re: "While not directly associated with member outreach and such, I have a sneaky feeling folks would like my efforts to help energize the member body..."

Recruitment and Retention are huge budget zappers for most organizations. Your website also serves to make that first impression with inquisitive visitors.

TT
shotgunfly likes this.