The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By mysticm
  • 1 Post By mridenour
  • 1 Post By skrap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 11:41 AM

skrap is on a distinguished road
Default Waders for me and options for young son....

So, in my continuing quest to accumulate FF gear and to also make Christmas lists to give my wife (we make lists for each other on what we want, etc) I am on the hunt for waders. I searched the forum and many other sites and seem to think that the LL Bean Breathable Emerger II Stocking Foot waders may fit the bill. Don't want to spend big bucks when they may be used a handful of times a year, I'm a sweaty guy and the breathable may be best if they actually breath as stated. Good choice??

Next question, my son will need some waders next summer for our Montana vacation and will probably use them occasionally here in Calif. He is only 10 years old and is a big kid who grows fast. Rather than spend $$$$ on waders he will grow out of fairly quick I thought about buying him a used wetsuit for surfing (we live at the beach) and cutting the wetsuit off at about mid-belly having him use the bottom half as waders. This will keep him warmer in chilly water as well as some protection from scratchy things, etc. Anyone ever done this? Good/bad idea. I think this is the safest route as I fear if he falls in a moving river/stream the wetsuit will not fill with water like waders could do with waist belt or not. In Montana he will be wearing a life vest anyways but can't be too safe, right? Good/bad idea??

Thanks of the continued help.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:51 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Waders for me and options for young son....

Waders selection is a very personal thing, so here is my view / experience.

1) Simms Headwaters Goretex: Pricey but worth it to me. I also get hot easily & these waders manage the vapor transmission very well with their breathable construction. After several years of hard use, I have only had one failure (not a leak but a wear spot) which was taken care of by the local fly shop where I orig bought the pair.

2) Orvis Sonic Seam Packables: On sale at the moment for a very good price. I took advantage of the sale and have used them twice. Much lighter than the Simms Headwaters but not as breathable. The suspension straps are a pretty chintzy design (weight save I am sure). Overall for the price I am satisfied. Plan is to use these for travel that involves bush plane related weight / space restriction.

3) Several of the big outdoor box store carry junior size waders, best to buy one of these for your son. Go for one size up to ensure that he gets more than a couple of seasons use before they get too snug. Using a cut up wet suit could be very uncomfortable under certain weather conditions. I have learned with my kids that anything I can do to make their experience more fun ensures that they will want to go on fishing trips with their dad

Others will have (for sure) an alternate viewpoint. Everyone has their favorite wader brands based on fit, design features and their individual experiences when purchasing the waders (customer service). One consistent theme is to pick a wader that fits you well....that is the most important thing!
fredaevans and skrap like this.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:02 PM
mridenour

Cabela's or something similar for the youngster. He will be comfortable and feel like a real fisherman. He will want to look like you do out there. That is part of the experience for a little kid. I took some kids fishing for the first time the other day and they wanted to use exactly what I used and mimic me in every way they could. I had to watch the language...lol!

I currently use Cabela's boot foot waders and after spending a whole lot of time in them over the last year I am itching to get some Simms or Orvis waders...literally itching...lol. There will be a pair of one or the other for me by next spring along with a good pair of cleated wading boots.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:52 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

I bought Cabela's Youth Waders for my 10-yr-old grandson.
He used them for two seasons. His younger sister used them this year.
They still look and perform as new.
I paid around $50 for them in felt-soled boot-foot.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:30 PM

44runner is on a distinguished road

Get the kid some real waders. Frogg Togg makes a nice inexpensive wader as well but you can always find boot foot waders even cheaper. Life vest is a must for a kid. With a belt he will be fine.

Kids don't want to look like the odd guy out and if they do it is going to cheapen what should be an awesome experience.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:03 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44runner View Post
Get the kid some real waders. Frogg Togg makes a nice inexpensive wader as well but you can always find boot foot waders even cheaper. Life vest is a must for a kid. With a belt he will be fine.

Kids don't want to look like the odd guy out and if they do it is going to cheapen what should be an awesome experience.
Sooo YES!

Neither of my kids showed a scant interest (other than a odd off) and I took a good friends Son fishing. He loved it, and so did I.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:03 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I just bought myself a pair of LL Bean Kennenbec waders. $220 w/ free shipping. Plus right now think they have a 10% off coupon floating around for labor day. From what I've read LL's warranty is pretty freakin tough to beat with a "you decide how long they should last" mind set. I'm a bigger guy with short legs and an even smaller inseam. They fit me like a glove. I can also roll them down and wear them as wader pants due to the integrated wading belt for those hot days. I originally was looking at the Orvis Sonic Silver waders but after tax and ridiculous shipping rates. I went with LL and feel I made a much better choice.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:12 PM

skrap is on a distinguished road

Good info fellas. Oh, and thanks for making feel like a crappy dad by sticking my kid in a wetsuit I should know better and you are right. The little guys love to use/have what daddy has. Goofy or not, he will be in a life vest when fishing moving waters.
mridenour likes this.