The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jbird
  • 1 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 06:40 PM

lefty2 is on a distinguished road
Default dry fly storage?

good evening, guys. i was wondering what or how you store dry flies? do you use compartmentalized boxes, nubby boxes, ripple, etch? thanks for any help.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:32 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: dry fly storage?

Hey Lefty. Take a look at my Pocket Boxes. A lot of guys like these for small nymphs and/or dry flies.
Products | Flygrain
skrap likes this.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:42 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Those are beauties...

To the original question, I use CF boxes. Some with the threaders, some without.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:50 PM

i had read once that compartmentalized boxes should be used as opposed to foam ridged boxes. not sure if this is true, however.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:16 PM

williamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant future

Compartment boxes for dries with hackle that stands perpendicular to the hook shank. Putting those flies into foam boxes can compress the hackle against the hook shank. They often can be restored but I have ruin dries like this.

I use a box with compartments on one side and a foam sheet on the other. I put the above type hackled dries into the compartment side and parachute and comparadun style dries on the foam side. Comparaduns don't have hackles and the parachute styles have the hackle above the hook shank and standing parallel so the foam doesn't hurt the flies.
skrap likes this.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:12 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Not sure if you you looking for an option for bulk storage, but if so, I use something along the lines of this soft sided tackle box -

Plano Medium Tackle Bag: Fishing & Marine : Walmart.com

They come with three or four large compartmentalized boxes, they hold hundreds of flies. Of course, unless you are fishing out of a boat, they aren't useful for when you are actually fishing, but they are great for storing inventory if you tie alot of flies.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 09-05-2013, 06:54 AM

pretty much looking for boxes to put in my vest.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:52 AM

siege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to behold

I use compartmented boxes for my drys. Anything that pleases you and fits your pockets should work. I know one local who uses empty persciption bottles. The other end of the spectrum would be something like jbird makes. Art in your pocket. If you are just starting out, don't buy a bunch of identical boxes. Try out different styles to see what's best for you.
Have fun, enjoy the search. It never ends.