The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 10:23 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Shame on the PA Fish Commission...

Here's my quick rant.. As many may know, Pa is having no harvest this year on the Susquehanna due to the low population of small mouth bass. I did some fishing today and found this in the parking lot at the West Fairview boat launch area.

Click the image to open in full size.

Over the weekend at the campground there was 2 kids that caught a nice big 20 inch bass. I then realized after seeing it from 30 yards away that it was dead because they decided to run around the whole park showing everyone.

Obviously there's waaaaay to many stupid people and many should not be allowed to have kids but I have yet to see ONE fish commission officer anywhere... I used to see them all the time around the campsite, tucked in a canoe under trees with binoculars. Its kinda silly to me to make regulations and not ever be present to enforce them.

Rant off.
rickf and fredaevans like this.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 09-04-2013, 10:56 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice
Default Re: Shame on the PA Fish Commission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by enolaeagle View Post
Obviously there's waaaaay to many stupid people and many should not be allowed to have kids but I have yet to see ONE fish commission officer anywhere...
You nailed it, dude!

Only one kid per family (just like China) and you must prove that you can take care of that kid!
enolaeagle likes this.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:15 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

I've met good guys from the PA FISH COMMISION who really were on the ball and some not so. I've found that they are spread to thin and they need help. One thing I'm not afraid to do is make a phone call. Even if it seems slight I do it. Made a call in March about guys keeping Walleye out of season and they ticketed 4 guys. I told them I was going to do it and I did! The officers handled it very well and I don't feel bad I'd do it again and I have. I'm not afraid to tell people the rules and often I do whether they want to hear it or not. The thing is I think it's going to get worse. This year hunting licenses come off your back so with that trend licenses may be next! Can't tell you how many violations I've seen on the Delaware mainly because of the multi jurisdictional status of the river! That's why I believe we have to be keepers of our own waters and make the calls. When I'm on the Delaware have NY ,NJ and Pa #s with me .Sometimes I get a response other times not ! But I try! As bad as it is in Pa you should see the stuff that goes on at the coastal beaches I fish it's atrocious!
Your right enolaeagle but it's also up to us to speak up when we see something out of line! Your also right about the Susqy guys I remember many trips to Brunner Island where they were handing tickets out like flyers ! And for the guys that were doing it right it was a pleasure!

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

Sadly that dead Fallfish on the boat ramp is a sad reminder of the PA attitude of many old timers that Fallfish and Pickeral should be thrown up on shore to rot not even worthy of fertilizer! Definately some education needed there! These are the same people who complain that there licenses pay for pellet fed stocker trout but throw these wild fish on the bank!! Thanks for the opportunity to rant I need that once in a while it keeps me from doing things I may regret !!
milt spawn, jaybo41 and enolaeagle like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-04-2013, 11:16 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I just hate to hear of a big small mouth dying due to human stupidity. Too noble of a fish to go that way.

Mike
fredaevans likes this.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:24 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
I've met good guys from the PA FISH COMMISION who really were on the ball and some not so. I've found that they are spread to thin and they need help. One thing I'm not afraid to do is make a phone call. Even if it seems slight I do it. Made a call in March about guys keeping Walleye out of season and they ticketed 4 guys. I told them I was going to do it and I did! The officers handled it very well and I don't feel bad I'd do it again and I have. I'm not afraid to tell people the rules and often I do whether they want to hear it or not. The thing is I think it's going to get worse. This year hunting licenses come off your back so with that trend licenses may be next! Can't tell you how many violations I've seen on the Delaware mainly because of the multi jurisdictional status of the river! That's why I believe we have to be keepers of our own waters and make the calls. When I'm on the Delaware have NY ,NJ and Pa #s with me .Sometimes I get a response other times not ! But I try! As bad as it is in Pa you should see the stuff that goes on at the coastal beaches I fish it's atrocious!
Your right enolaeagle but it's also up to us to speak up when we see something out of line! Your also right about the Susqy guys I remember many trips to Brunner Island where they were handing tickets out like flyers ! And for the guys that were doing it right it was a pleasure!

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

Sadly that dead Fallfish on the boat ramp is a sad reminder of the PA attitude of many old timers that Fallfish and Pickeral should be thrown up on shore to rot not even worthy of fertilizer! Definately some education needed there! These are the same people who complain that there licenses pay for pellet fed stocker trout but throw these wild fish on the bank!! Thanks for the opportunity to rant I need that once in a while it keeps me from doing things I may regret !!
Thats not the first time ive seen a fall fish like that.. still makes some food for the big fish but everytime im there I get disqusted with all the trash I pick up on the way out

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 09-04-2013, 11:28 PM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe PA needs a TIPs (Turn in Poachers) Hotline like Wisconsin.

Violation hotline - Wisconsin DNR

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 09-05-2013, 12:41 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Maybe PA needs a TIPs (Turn in Poachers) Hotline like Wisconsin.

Violation hotline - Wisconsin DNR
We have a similar hot line here in Oregon .... but it goes to the Oregon State Police. "You call, they Haul." Seriously, that is one of their responsibilities.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:06 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Like most government offices, they are probably under-staffed and over-stretched and without any kind of budget these days (and possibly on furloughs).

I don't mean this in a political way -- just a thought that maybe they just don't have the resources at present like that might have had in the past.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:29 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

There is also a hotline in MO to report poaching. They dont mess around here.

on the local forum, a guy posted a picture off a kids facebook page showing him holding a nice 18"+ smallie with a spear in it. Next picture was a table with 5-6 smallies, 3-4 largemouth and a couple suckers, all with spear marks on them. Incase you are wondering, spear fishing is SUPER illegal for any type of gamefish in MO. Long story short, they reported the page, photos and persons name to the MDC, they got in touch with the kid and fined him per fish and removeed his license for the remainder of the year.

Also recently there has been a big crack down on noodling, you know, where you grab the big catfish by hand. Recently they caught a big group of individuals ( due to a hotline tip ) with a bunch of dead catfish in the beds of their truck, each person in the group was fined $1000, lost licesnse and the actual grabbers could face up to a year in jail.
fredaevans and mridenour like this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-05-2013, 08:45 AM
mridenour

Yeah, here in Missouri the guy fishing next to you may be an agent. I've seen several busts in the trout parks over the years. People don't seem to be content with the limits and fishing methods.