The North American Fly Fishing Forum


Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree22Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-04-2013, 10:23 PM
enolaeagle's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 445
enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Shame on the PA Fish Commission...

Here's my quick rant.. As many may know, Pa is having no harvest this year on the Susquehanna due to the low population of small mouth bass. I did some fishing today and found this in the parking lot at the West Fairview boat launch area.

Click the image to open in full size.

Over the weekend at the campground there was 2 kids that caught a nice big 20 inch bass. I then realized after seeing it from 30 yards away that it was dead because they decided to run around the whole park showing everyone.

Obviously there's waaaaay to many stupid people and many should not be allowed to have kids but I have yet to see ONE fish commission officer anywhere... I used to see them all the time around the campsite, tucked in a canoe under trees with binoculars. Its kinda silly to me to make regulations and not ever be present to enforce them.

Rant off.
rickf and fredaevans like this.
__________________
~Todd
"...Nympin' ain't Easy"

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-04-2013, 10:56 PM
rickf's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: York, PA
Posts: 661
rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice
Default Re: Shame on the PA Fish Commission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by enolaeagle View Post
Obviously there's waaaaay to many stupid people and many should not be allowed to have kids but I have yet to see ONE fish commission officer anywhere...
You nailed it, dude!

Only one kid per family (just like China) and you must prove that you can take care of that kid!
enolaeagle likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-04-2013, 11:15 PM
theboz's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pocono Lake , Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,166
theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shame on the PA Fish Commission...

I've met good guys from the PA FISH COMMISION who really were on the ball and some not so. I've found that they are spread to thin and they need help. One thing I'm not afraid to do is make a phone call. Even if it seems slight I do it. Made a call in March about guys keeping Walleye out of season and they ticketed 4 guys. I told them I was going to do it and I did! The officers handled it very well and I don't feel bad I'd do it again and I have. I'm not afraid to tell people the rules and often I do whether they want to hear it or not. The thing is I think it's going to get worse. This year hunting licenses come off your back so with that trend licenses may be next! Can't tell you how many violations I've seen on the Delaware mainly because of the multi jurisdictional status of the river! That's why I believe we have to be keepers of our own waters and make the calls. When I'm on the Delaware have NY ,NJ and Pa #s with me .Sometimes I get a response other times not ! But I try! As bad as it is in Pa you should see the stuff that goes on at the coastal beaches I fish it's atrocious!
Your right enolaeagle but it's also up to us to speak up when we see something out of line! Your also right about the Susqy guys I remember many trips to Brunner Island where they were handing tickets out like flyers ! And for the guys that were doing it right it was a pleasure!

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

Sadly that dead Fallfish on the boat ramp is a sad reminder of the PA attitude of many old timers that Fallfish and Pickeral should be thrown up on shore to rot not even worthy of fertilizer! Definately some education needed there! These are the same people who complain that there licenses pay for pellet fed stocker trout but throw these wild fish on the bank!! Thanks for the opportunity to rant I need that once in a while it keeps me from doing things I may regret !!
milt spawn, jaybo41 and enolaeagle like this.
__________________
"I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
"There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
" It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-04-2013, 11:16 PM
fly_guy12955's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: southwest , Virginia
Posts: 1,892
fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Shame on the PA Fish Commission...

I just hate to hear of a big small mouth dying due to human stupidity. Too noble of a fish to go that way.

Mike
fredaevans likes this.
__________________
I find my meal by finding my meal's meal.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-04-2013, 11:24 PM
enolaeagle's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 445
enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Shame on the PA Fish Commission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
I've met good guys from the PA FISH COMMISION who really were on the ball and some not so. I've found that they are spread to thin and they need help. One thing I'm not afraid to do is make a phone call. Even if it seems slight I do it. Made a call in March about guys keeping Walleye out of season and they ticketed 4 guys. I told them I was going to do it and I did! The officers handled it very well and I don't feel bad I'd do it again and I have. I'm not afraid to tell people the rules and often I do whether they want to hear it or not. The thing is I think it's going to get worse. This year hunting licenses come off your back so with that trend licenses may be next! Can't tell you how many violations I've seen on the Delaware mainly because of the multi jurisdictional status of the river! That's why I believe we have to be keepers of our own waters and make the calls. When I'm on the Delaware have NY ,NJ and Pa #s with me .Sometimes I get a response other times not ! But I try! As bad as it is in Pa you should see the stuff that goes on at the coastal beaches I fish it's atrocious!
Your right enolaeagle but it's also up to us to speak up when we see something out of line! Your also right about the Susqy guys I remember many trips to Brunner Island where they were handing tickets out like flyers ! And for the guys that were doing it right it was a pleasure!

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

Sadly that dead Fallfish on the boat ramp is a sad reminder of the PA attitude of many old timers that Fallfish and Pickeral should be thrown up on shore to rot not even worthy of fertilizer! Definately some education needed there! These are the same people who complain that there licenses pay for pellet fed stocker trout but throw these wild fish on the bank!! Thanks for the opportunity to rant I need that once in a while it keeps me from doing things I may regret !!
Thats not the first time ive seen a fall fish like that.. still makes some food for the big fish but everytime im there I get disqusted with all the trash I pick up on the way out
__________________
~Todd
"...Nympin' ain't Easy"

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-04-2013, 11:28 PM
Business Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,252
silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shame on the PA Fish Commission...

Maybe PA needs a TIPs (Turn in Poachers) Hotline like Wisconsin.

Violation hotline - Wisconsin DNR
__________________
Regards,

Silver



"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2013, 12:41 AM
fredaevans's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Posts: 5,958
fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shame on the PA Fish Commission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Maybe PA needs a TIPs (Turn in Poachers) Hotline like Wisconsin.

Violation hotline - Wisconsin DNR
We have a similar hot line here in Oregon .... but it goes to the Oregon State Police. "You call, they Haul." Seriously, that is one of their responsibilities.
__________________
"“Reputation is what the world thinks a man is; character is what he really is.”
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2013, 03:06 AM
turbineblade's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NA
Posts: 856
turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: Shame on the PA Fish Commission...

Like most government offices, they are probably under-staffed and over-stretched and without any kind of budget these days (and possibly on furloughs).

I don't mean this in a political way -- just a thought that maybe they just don't have the resources at present like that might have had in the past.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2013, 08:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,789
stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Shame on the PA Fish Commission...

There is also a hotline in MO to report poaching. They dont mess around here.

on the local forum, a guy posted a picture off a kids facebook page showing him holding a nice 18"+ smallie with a spear in it. Next picture was a table with 5-6 smallies, 3-4 largemouth and a couple suckers, all with spear marks on them. Incase you are wondering, spear fishing is SUPER illegal for any type of gamefish in MO. Long story short, they reported the page, photos and persons name to the MDC, they got in touch with the kid and fined him per fish and removeed his license for the remainder of the year.

Also recently there has been a big crack down on noodling, you know, where you grab the big catfish by hand. Recently they caught a big group of individuals ( due to a hotline tip ) with a bunch of dead catfish in the beds of their truck, each person in the group was fined $1000, lost licesnse and the actual grabbers could face up to a year in jail.
fredaevans and mridenour like this.
__________________
"When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2013, 08:45 AM
mridenour
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Shame on the PA Fish Commission...

Yeah, here in Missouri the guy fishing next to you may be an agent. I've seen several busts in the trout parks over the years. People don't seem to be content with the limits and fishing methods.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frustration And Saddened Shame: A Historical Look At PEI's Fish Kills noreaster Atlantic 5 12-09-2012 06:40 PM
Take Action: Ask Gov. Brown to Remove Rogers from Fish and Game Commission Editor Pacific Southwest 3 09-16-2011 05:08 PM
The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) recently released its 2008 adult tro Fish Bones The Daily Papers 0 03-17-2009 06:20 PM
The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission is slated to stock the following lakes toda Fish Bones The Daily Papers 0 11-21-2008 08:30 PM
The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission is slated to stock the following lakes toda Fish Bones The Daily Papers 0 11-21-2008 07:50 PM













All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.