The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   East Cape Skiffs (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/330426-east-cape-skiffs.html)

onthehunt 09-05-2013 10:51 PM

East Cape Skiffs

Vantage VHP (http://eastcapeskiffs.com/skiffs/vhp/vhp-videos/)

Possibly thinking of one.

Does anyone have any info on them?

nick k 09-06-2013 07:25 AM

Re: East Cape Skiffs

Yup, looks like a boat to me.

siege 09-06-2013 08:06 AM

It depends on what you will be using it for, and where. From the videos, those look great. Handle and turn well, spray rail design looks like the inside of the boat stays dry running at high speed. Stable when still or being poled, nice platforms and decks. Inshore salt water ? Oh, yeah ! Reminds me of the Boston Whaler skiff I had when I lived in Miami.
I guess if all you wanted to do was get there fast, enjoy a day of fishing and get home again, that series of skiffs might do just fine. Don't forget to call when you get one. I'll bring the ice and drinks.:D

brookfieldangler 09-06-2013 08:19 AM

I fished out of one down in FL and it seemed nice. I, however, do not and have not fished out enough skiffs to be able to differentiate the subtleties of one skiff vs another skiff.

onthehunt 09-06-2013 10:33 AM

I would actually be using it mostly in freshwater, but as a fly fishing platform for the most part. Fishing everything from Carp and Bass to Striper and Muskie.

skrap 09-06-2013 04:25 PM

Not necessarily for fishing but I have been on plenty of boats, fresh and saltwater, that are fairly fast and after spending more than enough time at speed going from point A to B it was very tiresome to not be behind some sort of windshield. The boats you mentioned seem nice and may suit your needs well but I'd have to have some cover from the wind in the face while hauling azz.

onthehunt 09-06-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skrap (Post 589144)
Not necessarily for fishing but I have been on plenty of boats, fresh and saltwater, that are fairly fast and after spending more than enough time at speed going from point A to B it was very tiresome to not be behind some sort of windshield. The boats you mentioned seem nice and may suit your needs well but I'd have to have some cover from the wind in the face while hauling azz.

I get where you are coming from. However, having spend way too much time in Bass boats, those windshields don't do squat for protecting your face. About the only thing that I feel would, would be to have a helmet on.

Hardyreels 09-06-2013 05:32 PM

Hi,

Where do you live & fish? When our members don't include 'location' in their posting info it's hard to make recommendations on many things.

If you anticipate using a boat on rivers at any time I would get a welded aluminum hull not a glass hull.

Ard

skrap 09-06-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 589154)
Hi,

Where do you live & fish? When our members don't include 'location' in their posting info it's hard to make recommendations on many things.

If you anticipate using a boat on rivers at any time I would get a welded aluminum hull not a glass hull.

Ard

Being that you are in AK I understand your desire for welded. If so, may be a good idea for OP to get an outboard jet too if running rivers. I know you AK guys like the flat bottoms and jets drives.

Jet Drive | Yamaha Outboards

Hardyreels 09-06-2013 09:27 PM

I was gonna mention that but thought I would be going too far off what he posted about to start with. Jets are not nearly as economical to run as a prop drive but they remove all worries about shallow water for you. Anyone who ever ran a prop has busted a sheer pin or lost a prop entirely if they run rivers or got too close to shore on a lake. Props are fast, they are fuel efficient but jets rule the rivers for fishing.