The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 10:51 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about
Default East Cape Skiffs

Vantage VHP (http://eastcapeskiffs.com/skiffs/vhp/vhp-videos/)

Possibly thinking of one.

Does anyone have any info on them?
Old 09-06-2013, 07:25 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: East Cape Skiffs

Yup, looks like a boat to me.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:06 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

It depends on what you will be using it for, and where. From the videos, those look great. Handle and turn well, spray rail design looks like the inside of the boat stays dry running at high speed. Stable when still or being poled, nice platforms and decks. Inshore salt water ? Oh, yeah ! Reminds me of the Boston Whaler skiff I had when I lived in Miami.
I guess if all you wanted to do was get there fast, enjoy a day of fishing and get home again, that series of skiffs might do just fine. Don't forget to call when you get one. I'll bring the ice and drinks.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:19 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I fished out of one down in FL and it seemed nice. I, however, do not and have not fished out enough skiffs to be able to differentiate the subtleties of one skiff vs another skiff.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:33 AM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

I would actually be using it mostly in freshwater, but as a fly fishing platform for the most part. Fishing everything from Carp and Bass to Striper and Muskie.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:25 PM

skrap is on a distinguished road

Not necessarily for fishing but I have been on plenty of boats, fresh and saltwater, that are fairly fast and after spending more than enough time at speed going from point A to B it was very tiresome to not be behind some sort of windshield. The boats you mentioned seem nice and may suit your needs well but I'd have to have some cover from the wind in the face while hauling azz.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrap View Post
Not necessarily for fishing but I have been on plenty of boats, fresh and saltwater, that are fairly fast and after spending more than enough time at speed going from point A to B it was very tiresome to not be behind some sort of windshield. The boats you mentioned seem nice and may suit your needs well but I'd have to have some cover from the wind in the face while hauling azz.
I get where you are coming from. However, having spend way too much time in Bass boats, those windshields don't do squat for protecting your face. About the only thing that I feel would, would be to have a helmet on.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

Where do you live & fish? When our members don't include 'location' in their posting info it's hard to make recommendations on many things.

If you anticipate using a boat on rivers at any time I would get a welded aluminum hull not a glass hull.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-06-2013, 06:44 PM

skrap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi,

Where do you live & fish? When our members don't include 'location' in their posting info it's hard to make recommendations on many things.

If you anticipate using a boat on rivers at any time I would get a welded aluminum hull not a glass hull.

Ard
Being that you are in AK I understand your desire for welded. If so, may be a good idea for OP to get an outboard jet too if running rivers. I know you AK guys like the flat bottoms and jets drives.

Jet Drive | Yamaha Outboards
Old 09-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I was gonna mention that but thought I would be going too far off what he posted about to start with. Jets are not nearly as economical to run as a prop drive but they remove all worries about shallow water for you. Anyone who ever ran a prop has busted a sheer pin or lost a prop entirely if they run rivers or got too close to shore on a lake. Props are fast, they are fuel efficient but jets rule the rivers for fishing.
skrap likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;