The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 12:40 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The wives don't understand...

You want funny looks. Go camping and while sitting around the camp break out a fly rod and some small flies and go fish for lizards! You talk about looks!

Craig
jaybo41, mridenour, yonder and 2 others like this.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:13 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
They just don't understand us.
Well, I bought an el cheapo rod on eBay over the weekend. I said it was for my son, and it is, sort of. And she knew it wasn't "really" for him. She was okay with the first rod and reel. Then Jason gave me another rod. I obtained another reel (for the rod Jason gave me, of course). And now I got this rod.

I can't see it stopping now.

Problem is, she doesn't either. Especially since she caught me looking at eBay again last night looking for a rod that I can use for steelheads. And I also need another reel.

You are absolutely correct: She simply does not understand. Tell me again why is it more important to pay the rent on the kids' apartments in college than me buying some more equipment?

Oh, and I also get the rolling eyes and shaking head when she sees me lawn cast. She thinks it is especially funny whenever I get hooked on one of the tree branches that overhang the yard.
jaybo41, mridenour and yonder like this.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:36 PM

airwhipper is on a distinguished road

It's also fun to cast to cats as they move around the yard. They think I'm playing with them. My wife knows better. She keeps a REAL CLOSE eye on me when I break out my bowfishing gear.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:53 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwhipper View Post
It's also fun to cast to cats as they move around the yard. They think I'm playing with them. My wife knows better. She keeps a REAL CLOSE eye on me when I break out my bowfishing gear.
CATfish????????.....on the fly????????? HHhhhmmmmmmmm!!!!!
Pocono and mridenour like this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 09-06-2013, 02:07 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Toni ask me 'Michael, you have rods that lifetime warranties are a must....just to catch a fish you are gonna turn back in 5 seconds ?'

I just answer 'Exactly, Dear, you have it now !'
stl_geoff, jaybo41, busbus and 2 others like this.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:38 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

I don't get the guilt I feel buying a $39 fly rod which will last me a lifetime and the other will drop $100 bucks on a haircut that lasts 3 weeks.

Men are from y chromosomes and women are from x chromosomes or something like those planets. Anyways...

Lawn casting is good for the soul. The dog likes it when I'm out here doing it...what can I say.
jaybo41 and mridenour like this.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:09 PM

skrap is on a distinguished road

Not to hijack here but since you are all talking about practice casting in the yard I thought I'd ask.

I was told by the local FF shop owner to not practice on grass sat can mess put the fly line. Basically said over time, all the little sharp edges of the lawn will cause abrasions on the line. Any truth to this?

By the way, since I just got into FF again she looks at it two ways.

1). Just one more hobby to spend money on. Hey, I have a job too.

2). My young son is getting FF gear too so it is good with her.
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:23 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
No wife to speak of, but .....
I don't speak of mine either
Old 09-06-2013, 06:05 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
My wife fishes along with me 100% of the time I'm on the water -- in all weather and stream conditions. I can't say I relate to this .
Haven considered a wife in years, but if yours has a sister of the same bent .. I could change my mind.
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:08 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

I consider myself lucky.

I have had 2 of these creatures you call wife's.

Dont get me wrong...marriage has it's positives. Mostly my amazing 17 year old daughter!!!!!!

but now....

If i want a rod/reel gear...i buy it.
Season tickets ....done
long weekends away to a favorite trout stream....done.
NOT doing yard work.........im the best.

Companionship you say??......i'll get a Lab.
jaybo41, mridenour and jimp like this.