The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 06:24 PM

rusty 54 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The wives don't understand...

My wife is pretty tolerant. I rodeoed for many years. First it was spur boards and bucking barrels; then roping dummies. When people talk about fly fishing being expensive, I just smile.

I lawn cast alot, can't say grass hurts lines much. If it does, it's worth it.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:32 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimloom View Post
You want funny looks. Go camping and while sitting around the camp break out a fly rod and some small flies and go fish for lizards! You talk about looks!

Craig
Don't tell the tree huggers trying to close up the Sierras, but a yellow legged frog will definitely hit an adams if presented well
Pocono, baseman1 and mridenour like this.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:40 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

It's not so much the casting in the yard she doesn't understand, it's why I'm wearing a vest and waders.....

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:46 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfordcreek View Post
I consider myself lucky.

I have had 2 of these creatures you call wife's.

Dont get me wrong...marriage has it's positives. Mostly my amazing 17 year old daughter!!!!!!

but now....

If i want a rod/reel gear...i buy it.
Season tickets ....done
long weekends away to a favorite trout stream....done.
NOT doing yard work.........im the best.

Companionship you say??......i'll get a Lab.

My kids are in their early 40's but I understand all of the above. Save for I have a young man who does my yard work for me ever week. The Lab is 100 pounds of 10 years of pure love and affection going both ways.

Never go anywhere without him save for it's a 'just can't be.'

He's flaked out on the office floor next to me ......

fae
Old 09-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrap View Post
I was told by the local FF shop owner to not practice on grass sat can mess put the fly line. Basically said over time, all the little sharp edges of the lawn will cause abrasions on the line. Any truth to this?
I've never done much casting without water but to the above; I seriously doubt it. There is so much overthinking and hair splitting going on today regarding fly lines that if I were to believe it all I would have to own over 125 lines for the 20 or so rods I have. Along with all those various lines I'd need many more reel spools and would have to be cleaning the lines and coating them with some compound to make them cast farther frequently.

With all of that going on my fishing time would be cut somewhere around the 50% mark. Don't worry over the lawn ruining your line but remember that fishing is what they are for

Ard
jaybo41, caseywise, busbus and 3 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-06-2013, 07:00 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Well once you land a record earth worm, they won't be laughing.
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:04 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

As soon as i make the move, a chocolate lab puppy is going to happen immediately.

My last was an English Springer. Lost him in divorce. Amazing dog. Natural in the field.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:39 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

This summer I've been practicing my two-handed casting in the lake right in front of our house. Lots of funny comments and questions from my neighbours, especially when I tell them I've cut the hook off my fly. I told one little girl I was trying to catch seagulls.

My wife is very tolerant of my fishing and expensive tackle habits, but regards it all with good-natured bemusement. We'll be at a party and I'll inevitably be babbling about some fish-related story, then people will inevitably ask her if she likes fishing too. She always says "I like fishing, I'm just not obsessed with it."

My sister doesn't get it at all. When I described for her catching my first steelhead she asked whether they were good to eat. Horrified, I told her that they were strictly catch and release. There was a pause, and then she said, noticeably confused, "Well if you can't eat them, what's the point?"

Scott
fredaevans and mridenour like this.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:22 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

They say marriage is a wonderfull institution....
with a lot of commitment.
And it's a fact that married men live longer.

So if you want to spend a long time committed to an institution,
Get married !

My wife enjoys it when the boys come over and cast yarn bits and rehash fishing stories in the back yard, 'cause they bring the girls with them, and they do craft projects indoors. It works for everybody
fredaevans and mridenour like this.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:49 PM

lacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of light

Wife fishes everything I do, including the Juan in the dead of winter (over Christmas break). It works for me .

Bob
mridenour likes this.