The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 05:55 AM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The wives don't understand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
It'll cost you. Plus I have to warn you up front that she likes single malt scotch, forty bucks a glass, so not a cheap date. But well worth it. Hell, the woman played bluegrass mandolin and drove a classic Alpha Spider . I am truly the world's biggest idiot.
I'd say so.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:11 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
Showed Toni the pic of the new Orvis glass rods coming out,,she said "It's another fly rod, am I missing something ?'

I went in for counseling today. My doctor doesn't understand her coldness of emotion either !

I can tell my boxer dog, Heidi is all excited for me. I can mention that 7 1/2', 4wt, magical glass scepter in excited terms and she wags her tail like crazy !

Showed her a couple #22 Adams trudes I'd tied tonite,,,she said 'That won't fill a trout up, you sure they'll put effort into hitting that little thing?'

I'm up at 3thirty AM nearly now, pondering the logic on that one,,,,,,,,,,,,ummmmm Maybe she said THAT to hurt me too ?

Mike

Mike,

I think you must be married to one of my wife's long-lost relatives. Those are things she would, and has, said to me. She told me one time, "I don't understand you. You spend all that time making 'crafts' and then all you do with them is throw them in the water."

'Crafts????????' Flies are crafts???

And to make things worse, she looks at my flies with a totally blank stare. I even tried to make a few dries on a #20 and it took me forever. (I don't know what hurt more: the cramps in my hands or the pain in my eyes.) I was really happy with the outcome and all I got was a "Ho-hum. What's on TV tonight?"

Whenever she sees a rod or reel on my computer screen, I am told I had better not even be thinking about getting another one because I already have more of them than I have hands.

And she thinks the dumbest things I do is catching fish only to put them back into the water...well, except I will do it even when it is raining.

ray
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:42 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Took me three times, but finally got a good one who does not hassle me about my projects or my hobbies. Third time is a charm.

As for the others, well, all I have to say is this.

In Dukes of Hazzard Willie Nelson line:

Why is divorce so expensive - because it is worth it.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:47 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

In Colorado, the people who DON'T practice cast in the yard are considered Wierdo's.

CAB
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:08 PM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

Quote:
a woman who owned more flyrods then I did, and was getting her sea plane pilots licence, get away. Add to that she was a doctor who had the libido of a fifteen year old boy
+ connoisseur scotch, bluegrass mandolin, and a classic roadster?

Jesus, man, what were you thinking?

Anyway, what a setup for a good short story.

As for the yard casting -- I mostly get funny looks from the neighbors. I'm the fly fishing / bc tele / runner guy on a dirt road full of power sports & lake trolling people, so I'm used to it.

The wife, she tolerates my lifestyle well enough. Our Venn diagrams intersect in plenty of places, but fishing ain't one of them.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:07 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with turbineblade and lacanadio; my wife is my usual fly fishing partner; fresh or salt.

As far as lawn casting goes, well I used to do a lot of it. Sometimes when I'd come home from work; a little tired and frustrated (you know, those days just happen every now and then.........), Marty would say: "why don't you go out and cast for awhile?" I would, and it always brought me right back to a much more comfortable place. I can't concentrate on line placement and work-related things at the same time; fortunately for me, it's the work-related things that fade away when I'm fishing/casting.

....but, if fq13 is passing out info on that fly fishing, single malt drinking, classic alfa-driving adventure woman (you did say that she was drop dead gorgeous........right?), then.................um,............I'll take a copy.....................

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 09-27-2013 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:08 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
I'm with turbineblade and lacanadio; my wife is my usual fly fishing partner; fresh or salt.

As far as lawn casting goes, well I used to do a lot of it. Sometimes when I'd come home from work; a little tired and frustrated (you know, those days just happen every now and then.........), Marty would say: "why don't you go out and cast for awhile?" I would, and it always brought me right back to a much more comfortable place. I can't concentrate on line placement and work-related things at the same time; fortunately for me, it's the work-related things that fade away when I'm fishing/casting.

....but, if fq13 is passing out info on that fly fishing, single malt drinking, classic alfa-driving adventure woman (you did say that she was drop dead gorgeous........right?), then.................um,............I'll take a copy.....................

Pocono
She was going for her residency, I was off to get a university teaching gig, no way we'd be in the same town, so we just parted ways.
And, no more cute, but hey, still out of my league. Its one of those memories that will make me smile when I'm in the old folks home.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:10 AM
mridenour

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
She was going for her residency, I was off to get a university teaching gig, no way we'd be in the same town, so we just parted ways.
And, no more cute, but hey, still out of my league. Its one of those memories that will make me smile when I'm in the old folks home.
fq13! pm me. i've been trying to get hold of you.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:47 AM

crazy4oldcars is on a distinguished road

What I usually get is the "Just smile(fake) and nod like you think it's great" look.
I don't practice cast in the yard, but that's her reaction to the flies I show her. This is after she received the hurt look for "Isn't that the one you showed me the other day?".
I act more enthused when she shows me her new fingernail paintjob every week. Least she could do is reciprocate.

Kirk
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:50 PM

marty mcfly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
My buddy and I were laughed at for fishing in the front yard last night. We busted out the 9WT and made some casts in the grass in preparation for our trip to Michigan in a few weeks. Our wives thought it was funny and were attempting to get pictures of us fishing for grass to post on Facebook. We foiled their attempts to make fun of us in social media but they still had a good laugh.

They just don't understand us.
That is PATHETIC! Have some self respect, clip the hooks off one of those articulated salmon streamers and fish for neighborhood cats. Your friend can also practice his netting technique at the same time.