The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rickf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 02:50 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice
Default "On we sweep, with threshing oar"

"My only goal will be the lakes other shore"

"The hammer of the Gods will drive our pontoons to new lakes"
"to catch some fish, singing and crying"

"Helios 2 ......... I am coming"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YvXYKBWj1c

I finally put my oars on my Outlaw Escape! I've had the 'toon for nine months now ......... and I finally saw the advantage of the threshing oar!

This 'toon comes with two 6' two piece oars that fit on side holders. Super fast if you want to get somewhere in the lake. I still use my fins. I use both at the same time.

I'm nailin' the fish with this wonderful "fall bite". I'll post some pix tonight.

Tight Lines,

Last edited by rickf; 09-08-2013 at 01:26 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:31 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: "On we sweep, with threshing oar"

Looking forward! "I'm nailin' the fish with this wonderful "fall bite". I'll post some pix tonight."

fae
Old 09-06-2013, 11:18 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice
Default Re: "On we sweep, with threshing oar"

Fred,

I took my UL spin today with my float tube (and oars). The crappie are still deep (15' to 20') way too deep for a fly rod!

But ........ two weeks ago, in the world famous Yellow Breeches, and with my 3 wt Helios:

Click the image to open in full size.

mcnerney and brookfieldangler like this.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:07 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Looking Good To Me!

Odd part about Southern Oregon is that trout fishing (save for a few lakes) is close to none existent. Trout population in the Rogue River is close to zero. If you catch one, it's a Salmon or Steelhead smolt. If you want to fish for trout you have to take a drive 'over the hill' to Klamath Falls streams. There, there's lots ....
Old 09-07-2013, 08:25 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice, congrats! Good to hear your getting some fishing in with the toon.

Larry

Old 09-07-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Looking Good To Me!

Odd part about Southern Oregon is that trout fishing (save for a few lakes) is close to none existent. ....
Fred,

Wow! that surprised me? I thought it would be great trout fishing up there.

Here in central PA, we really do have a lot of great trout streams (a couple good lakes also). Some folks complain a bit in the hot summer, but these limestone and spring creeks have biting trout all year!

I go after sunfish a lot because I can catch 100 without much effort at all (and I'm a lazy guy!) Now that this wonderful fall weather has arrived, I'll have to hit the half dozen trout streams with my 3 wt.

Those pix above are from the "world famous" Yellow Breeches. Only a half hour drive for me. Several clubs stock that stream many times a year. The water is always clean and cool with a awful lot of trout (even I can catch them with my home tied flies) Also, no trash anywhere and beautiful trees and bushes. It is truly a pristine trout paradise!
Old 09-07-2013, 02:39 PM

Rick I think the 'problem' is a lack of in-river food supply. Just a personal observation only but seeing 'bugs' on the upper river is a 'well look at that.' Not even Misketo's (bad spelling intended). Like almost zero.

When I first moved here in the mid '90's fellow asked me if I'd ever seen a Salmon Fly hatch? Answer was no and gave him my business card. Called me some time later and "This you've got to see."

Out of my office (3 piece suit) and running up to the Hatchery area. MILLIONS of the danged thing, all 2-3 inches long. Landing all over me in seconds ... harmless as could be, but spookie shxt! Drove back to the bank with all windows down to flush out the car.

This year/last year/year before? Haven't seen one.

Edit: I have no idea if this has anything to do with anything. Lake behind Wm. Jess dam has a HUGE algae problem, that water gets dumped, one's killing the other?
Old 09-08-2013, 01:21 AM

Fred,

I know exactly what you mean. But when life hands you a lemon ...... you have to make lemonade?

Here in PA, the Susquehanna was a world class smallmouth paradise! I would catch >100 every day with a fly rod and a woolybugger. Those days are gone.

It used to be a gravel bottom clean river, but now it's a mud / silt bottom with fish with red sores and legions.

It broke my heart, so I went to bluegills with a UL rod.

All fishing all over the planet is in a steep decline. Just enjoy what you can before it is all gone!