The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 03:16 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light
Default 3w = CRAZY FUN!

I've read so many posts here about how much more exciting a 2 or 3w rod is... I picked up an Allen rig and had a blast the last 2 days. So glad I got this size rod and the action is great. Caught some rainbows yesterday and slammed all kinda brown trout on a micro caddis this morning into the afternoon
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

I didnt get pics of them all because I was trying to keep my fly in the water.
One of them went for my elk hair caddis, missed the hook set and my dropper snagged the back fin... that one was harder to land.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 09-06-2013, 03:20 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of
Default Re: 3w = CRAZY FUN!

Nice, I just ordered a kracken the other day...I am stoked for its arrival.

Looks like good fishing.
enolaeagle likes this.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:23 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: 3w = CRAZY FUN!

Nice photos Todd! Good to see you're having a ball with your 3wt. They are certainly a niche tool, but I'd have to agree...they're a blast! Even small fish feel big when you're landing them! Good stuff!
mcnerney, troutnut4 and enolaeagle like this.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:24 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

Yep. Ive caught the most and biggest fish with this rod in 2 days than the last 2 months. Some of these streams are too shallow with finicky fish for a 5w.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 09-06-2013, 05:45 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by enolaeagle View Post
Yep. Ive caught the most and biggest fish with this rod in 2 days than the last 2 months. Some of these streams are too shallow with finicky fish for a 5w.

LOVE my 2-3wts. Never leave home without them.

My home waters are the GSMNP. Mostly smaller backcoutry streams are a favorite. Fish average 4-8 with a good fish pushing 12. I could never understand the guy throwing the 8" 4-5wt...6 inch fish and a cfs flow of 120. I just dont see the fun....Now, give me my 2wt......and that 6 inch fish feels like something. Then, it's the 12-14's that will get you to the reel in a hurry and put on a show......
enolaeagle likes this.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfordcreek View Post
LOVE my 2-3wts. Never leave home without them.

My home waters are the GSMNP. Mostly smaller backcoutry streams are a favorite. Fish average 4-8 with a good fish pushing 12. I could never understand the guy throwing the 8" 4-5wt...6 inch fish and a cfs flow of 120. I just dont see the fun....Now, give me my 2wt......and that 6 inch fish feels like something. Then, it's the 12-14's that will get you to the reel in a hurry and put on a show......

That's about where I was. The smaller ones are usually 6-7 but most of them today were in the 12 - 15 range. The biggest one wouldn't stop and I ended up on the reel with him taking a couple yards of drag. Great time!

Aside from feeling good about the trip... I left on another positive note. Earlier in the morning a woman showed up to fish and spoke with me for a minute or two. She was very pleasant (and nice looking too)(but don't tell my wife I said that)

She went a little upstream from me and I watched her cast for a bit. She was doing very well but I could tell she was struggling with her line, tippet and kind of staring into her fly box. After awhile I ventured up her way and asked how she was making out. She was frustrated a little and told me that she started last year and normally fishes with a guy friend and/or one of the guides there.
She showed me her rig which was a yellow elk caddis and blue dun dropper. Either would be my choice. So I grabbed my fly box and told her that the caddis was good but a tan would work much better and then showed her the cdc micro caddis dropper that I use.

I said: "Let me give you these 2 flies... No strings attached."
She thanked me and as we were on the topic of strings, I noticed her leader had a couple knots in it. I reached in my pouch and grabbed one of Joni's furled leaders for her that would work with her weight rod and told her all about them. I mentioned that (because it happened to me) you can carefully pull out a knot with hook pliers after it dries.

She was all smiles and thanked me over and over. After I got back to fishing she was tying some new flies on but then disappeared so I though she went home. She came back an hour or so later and yelled out my name. I turned around and she let me know that she wanted to thank me again before she left... She went down stream for awhile and ended up catching 2 browns on the micro caddis that I gave her!

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 09-06-2013, 06:28 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

Congratulation on your success with your new 3wt. If I didn't have my ultralights this summer would have been a wash, we've had so much rain the only place I've been able to fish are small streams, perfect for 1 and 2 wts.
enolaeagle likes this.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:38 PM

The one thing that I was concerned about with the 6'6" size rod and the weight in general is that I find myself getting bored if there's no activity and always resort to a woolly bugger for awhile. I can't use a beadhead on that rod... tried it and just a tad too heavy to have any kind of controlled cast BUT the picture of the rainbow was caught on a size 6-olive-non weighted bugger. That size was just enough to throw it nicely and jig it around in the rapid water. I ended up pulling that one right off the bottom and could feel the strike immediately.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 09-06-2013, 06:39 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

I have never met an attractive single women fly fishing ....EVER.

You did have a good day.......

I have been thinking about building a new stick. 7'6 0wt...might need to look at what Dan Craft has in stock....Geeez, see what you started..
enolaeagle likes this.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfordcreek View Post
I have never met an attractive single women fly fishing ....EVER.

You did have a good day.......

I have been thinking about building a new stick. 7'6 0wt...might need to look at what Dan Craft has in stock....Geeez, see what you started..
I've seen quite a few. If there was more, I'd start a guide service for my clients to meet the women and fish together

My single buds like my witty wing-man skills
waterfordcreek likes this.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...