The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 08:07 PM

chauncey is on a distinguished road
Default Jerry Siem double hauling with no rod

double haul video

He did this at a recent demonstration for the new sage method here in boulder. Color me impressed =)
Old 09-06-2013, 08:11 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of
Default Re: Jerry Siem double hauling with no rod

It is a good way to emphasize how important the correct motions are. Just watch out you can burn your hand in a hurry.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

My first thought after viewing was; all this talk about matching lines to rods! Up lining, down lining, nymph lines etc. I think that makes it quite clear that technique, not the rod / line mix, is what matters in many cases. There are some folks who can cast anything without a problem. I don't talk about whether I can cast well or not but I can relate to the man in the video well.
fredaevans likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-06-2013, 10:42 PM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

No wonder the cork on Sage rods sucks .

My casting mentor once told me Jerry is the best caster that he has ever seen.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:49 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Good video.

Here's another video that helped me a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcE-9WPuZ04
Old 09-07-2013, 02:25 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
My first thought after viewing was; all this talk about matching lines to rods! Up lining, down lining, nymph lines etc. I think that makes it quite clear that technique, not the rod / line mix, is what matters in many cases. There are some folks who can cast anything without a problem. I don't talk about whether I can cast well or not but I can relate to the man in the video well.
Fully understand (I think) what Ard's going at with the above. There are darned few 'bad rods,' there are very few 'bad lines,' but you match one up with the other and you have a disaster looking for a place to happen.

At the moment, that would be my Sage 7100-4 XP. No idea what lines on the thing anymore, but for casting the total things a bust.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:07 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I've not seen Jerry do that before, but I have seen that done before on a salt water fly fishing show.

They were filming a casting competition amongst the guides at a salt water lodge. One part of the competition was casting the fly line without a rod and I think the longest cast was over 60 feet.

The salt water guys were doing it with only their hands and nothing on their fingers. It looks like Jerry has something white either in his hand or on his finger. Sometimes folks will use a "finger guide" ( a guide that fits around their index finger) to carry the line.

Click the image to open in full size.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 09-07-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:28 PM

pm287 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Jerry
I have had on my list to learn!!!!!!
Have a great day
Paul M
Old 09-08-2013, 05:17 AM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

If its YouTube video, can someone post a direct link?

Sendt fra min GT-I9300 med Tapatalk 4
Old 09-08-2013, 07:42 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

You really can't talk fly casting without a rod unless you include Ellis Newman. Ellis could do +90 ft. with a DT 7 back in the !950's ! His influence prolly got too Jerry Siem eventually.

Joan Wulff's New Fly-Casting Techniques - Joan Wulff - Google Books siem fly casting&f=false

More on Ellis if you care to browse.....

ellis newman fly casting - Google Search