The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 01:08 PM

wyatt96 is on a distinguished road
Default Fly fishing guide question.

As a full time fly guide, how much time do you actually have off on an average?
Old 09-07-2013, 01:43 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice
Default Re: Fly fishing guide question.

Working for who, yourself or someone else? Yourself is how much do you want off, someone else is they set the time off for the most part.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:07 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

The other factor here is the fishing season(s). Here on the Rogue you can legally fish for 'something' year round. On most rivers that will not be the case. So do you pack up and drive 1,000 miles to someplace you could guide, if you could get clients?
Old 09-07-2013, 04:09 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt96 View Post
As a full time fly guide, how much time do you actually have off on an average?
Are you looking to become a guide, or are you just curious?

There are so many factors that determine this, that it is difficult to get a straight answer. As some have pointed out, are you working for someone or yourself? Are you in an area where it is seasonal, such as Alaska or most of Canada? Are you going to spend the summer season in one location and the winter in another? What specie or species are you targeting? Where will your specialty (emphasis) be? These are just some questions among others.

Some guides work 25 days a year, others work over 300 days a year. One thing is certain, whether you are working for someone or yourself, you will not work much your first year or two. It takes time to develop a reputation, a following and referrals. Also, the more well versed you are, the more you will work.

My only stipulation, whether working the so called corporate "real world" job in the past, or guiding, I refuse to work Sundays! I'm old school and refer to Sundays as "family day" where it is a day to relax, unwind, spend it with my fiance and do what I want to do. IMHO, all businesses, except emergency services should be closed on Sundays.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:26 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

To be a full time guide you need to be on the water a minimum 160 days/trips. Most busy shops the guides easily do 2 trips a day in season.

There are a few FULL-Time guides but that is way harder said than done because you gotta have a lot of repeat/referrals as well as a shop that has a huge clientele to keep guides busy...Breaking the top ten on any guide list of the best shops is tough to do.

Just takes time, a few guys leave and you are standing there...your timing is right. Can you winter fish? Full timers fish all year and take a bit of time off in late fall and early summer.

Or fish 7 months in the us and 5 in NZ or Argentina but in both places American guides basically got shafted out.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:37 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
To be a full time guide you need to be on the water a minimum 160 days/trips. Most busy shops the guides easily do 2 trips a day in season.

There are a few FULL-Time guides but that is way harder said than done because you gotta have a lot of repeat/referrals as well as a shop that has a huge clientele to keep guides busy...Breaking the top ten on any guide list of the best shops is tough to do.

Just takes time, a few guys leave and you are standing there...your timing is right. Can you winter fish? Full timers fish all year and take a bit of time off in late fall and early summer.

Or fish 7 months in the us and 5 in NZ or Argentina but in both places American guides basically got shafted out.

Good points.

There is a lot more to it as well. Some things you only learn from guiding and some of those things are local or regional.

It is not easy, it can be the best time you ever had, it can be the worst time you ever had, but you sure meet a lot of interesting people. You will also meet some people that make you say to yourself, "I sure hope that is not me" or "wow, having all of money I possibly wanted may not be worth the time or sacrifices it takes to get there" or "wow, I am damn lucky to be doing this".

Regardless, in the end, remember one thing.....being a guide.....basically means you are.....

A BABY SITTER!
Old 09-09-2013, 10:48 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

In Colorado you'd be off in the winter since everyone is out skiing. You'll work all summer long every single day. Gotta make that paper!

Randy