The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 05:58 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about
Default New Addiction!

Yesterday, for the first time, I experienced Striper on the fly!

Yep, I'm Hooked!

Now I have fished for almost 30 years, fly exclusively for the last 8-10 years and my thoughts on fly fishing can be surmised as "big flies, big rods, big fish"! I like throwing meat, I like throwing 8 weights and above and I like fish that wake you up when they hit, double your rod over and make your reel sing! That is why I am a Bass, Pike, Muskie, Salmon and Steelhead guy first and foremost! Then I turn to Trout, which I enjoy as well, just not as much.

So back to this Striper thing.....

Now I'm in AZ, so we are talking reservoir fish and not Powell or Mead, but I will get there. These were 2-4lb. schoolies, but they were withing 3 feet of the surface, over 35-60 feet of water. They were not boiling or blitzing as they do on the East Coast. It was a fish here or there busting small balls of bait. Despite not being big fish, they were a blast!

These fish encompass all I love about fly fishing. Bigger flies, long casts, fast retrieves, hard @ss hits and strong fights!

Oh boy, I am in trouble! I will be spending way to much time chasing them in the future, I know it!
Old 09-07-2013, 06:41 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: New Addiction!

Congrats on the new experience! Stripers are my other favorite fish, them & Smallmouths. I've yet to break the 30" mark on a fly, but have caught a few bigger on other tackle. But, since I mostly fish the smaller rivers & creeks, I'll take those schoolie sizes any day!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 09-07-2013, 07:59 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
Congrats on the new experience! Stripers are my other favorite fish, them & Smallmouths. I've yet to break the 30" mark on a fly, but have caught a few bigger on other tackle. But, since I mostly fish the smaller rivers & creeks, I'll take those schoolie sizes any day!
Smallies, Muskie and Steelhead are my top 3!

If you are in MD, you better get your butt to the coast!
Old 09-07-2013, 08:11 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

That's the plan! Although I have a week of work before I go. I have a friend who lives down on the eastern shore of VA, in Wachapreague and I'm heading down there week of the 15th to fish with him. Mostly, I'm interested in Redfish, as I've never caught one on a fly, but there might be Stripers, Seatrout & of course Flounders as well.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Last edited by bigjim5589; 09-07-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:12 PM

thepiper is on a distinguished road

Yep stripers are pretty awesome. If only they could reproduce!
Old 09-07-2013, 10:22 PM

Stripers do reproduce! You may be thinking of "wipers" a hybrid cross between Striped Bass & White Bass, which are said to be sterile & can't reproduce.

The Stripers I chase are native to the Atlantic coast & the Chesapeake Bay. They definitely reproduce!

Old 09-07-2013, 11:08 PM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

I love surf stripers with a fly rod!

The stripers migrate down the Jersey coast in Nov, Dec, and Jan.

NJ coast, Island Beach State Park in late December. All fish were caught standing in the surf with a 6 wt and a sink tip line:

Click the image to open in full size.

edit: playing with my camera, and trying to fix photobucket!

a couple good suft striper fly books:

wannafish likes this.

Last edited by rickf; 09-08-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:25 PM

The better half has always loved Maine. Me, I'm looking for Bass, Pike, Muskie, Salmon, Steelhead to fish and waterfowl to hunt. This Striper thing may have me considering Maine!
Old 09-08-2013, 07:27 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

if your wife likes cold wet seasons and huge mosquito's then maine is the place to chase them all. I'll stick the the mid atlantic areas. have it all sm. bass, stripers, musky, walleye on the Delaware river. stripers, blues, albies down the shore and steelhead, salmon in ny. 6wt for striper, I don't go below a 9wt. but then I'm chasin 15 - 40 lbers along the jersey beaches.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 09-08-2013, 07:46 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I've never tried for Stripers yet but they are really over running the Miramichi bay area the last few years; estimates of 500 000 in the mouth of the river this past spring, gobbling up salmon smolt like crazy. I'm going to have to try it!