The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By lacanadio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 07:44 PM

lacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of light
Default Got one hooked :)

Over Labor Day weekend, we camped with another couple at Hopewell Lake in northern New Mexico. He's been wanting to learn fly fishing. I'm not the best person to teach, as I'm not particularly proficient, but had him try some casts with a practice rod we have.

We then went down Placer Creek, which is the outlet of Hopewell. It's small (3-5' wide), brushy and a general PITA to fish, but it's got lots of eager eaters. That is, if you don't spook them first. You usually get just one cast into a pool.

Well, Sonny managed 3 fish, 3 more than me . And he's now hooked on the sport.

At least the next day I had better luck: a nice brookie on the first cast of the day and quite a few on the Rio Vallecitos, which Placer empties into.

Fun time all around.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got one hooked :)

Sounds like you guys had a great weekend and now have a fly fishing buddy!

Larry

Old 09-08-2013, 07:42 PM

lacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Got one hooked :)

We did have a great weekend. Wife's my main fishing buddy - she ALWAYS (well most always) fishes with me. But Sonny's welcome to tag along...

Bob