The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 10:25 PM

maccadon3000 will become famous soon enoughmaccadon3000 will become famous soon enough
Default Do Abels scratch easily?

Hi all. I'm considering buying an Abel Super 4n in the Grateful Dead finish (came into a little money). If I spend $800 on a line holder, though, I'm going to use the heck out of it and not set it on a shelf. I'm not hard on my gear, but I may set my reel on the occasional rock or log or set it in the stream in gravely bottoms. So, how scratch resistant are the anodized fish/artistic finishes on Abel reels? Thanks.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:11 PM

jbennett is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do Abels scratch easily?

Buy a $200 Lamson and several year of Sirius xm radio. The Grateful Dead channel is awesome.
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:19 PM

maccadon3000 will become famous soon enoughmaccadon3000 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the advise. Lol. I've got over 50 shows on my iPhone not to mention the Archive.org app that gives me plenty of music.

So, any other reviews of the durability of Abel finishes?
Old 09-08-2013, 01:20 AM

nicknick222 has a spectacular aura aboutnicknick222 has a spectacular aura about

Consider the finish as part of the metal. So if you do anything to it that will scratch aluminum, it will scratch the finish. During normal wear and tear on a river unless your bouncing it off of rocks you should be fine. Be aware of the rough texture on the bottom of drift boats though! That stuff will tear through the finish like sandpaper... learned that after lending my super 6 to a friend on a drift trip
Old 09-08-2013, 07:24 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I dont have an Abel, but if you use it, expect it to get scratched.
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:42 AM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

I have never been able to understand why anyone would buy a hand painted Abel at $800.00 and as you say "use the heck out of it". These custom jobs are more of a collectors piece, to admire, not to use. If Abel is your thing, buy the same reel in a solid color, use it and don't worry about the scratches and put that expensive ornament back on the shelf in your "man cave"! IMHO.
waterfordcreek likes this.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:50 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say it's a safe assumption that it won't be much different than any other reel you may have less type III anodization or with a clear finish showing the natural color of aluminum. Abel does offer refinishing services if you're so inclined.

I was at the fly shop yesterday and saw a GD 4N, and a Wild Trout, and a Brook Trout, and a Brown trout and a Black, and an Olive, and a...you get the idea. Beautiful reels. The hand painted finishes truly are works of art.
von behr likes this.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:00 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccadon3000 View Post
Thanks for the advise. Lol. I've got over 50 shows on my iPhone not to mention the Archive.org app that gives me plenty of music.

So, any other reviews of the durability of Abel finishes?
Currently got 2500+ Dead tracks on my HDD + a Xerox box full of tapes

As for durability... I'd imagine it's something that's... Built to last
milt spawn likes this.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:40 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Yes, it will scratch. My opinion? A pristine Dead graphic has no character. Use it. Scratch it. Love it. Its an Abel and it always will be. If thats what you want, go for it. Make no bones about it. I love my ables and wish I used them more. Theyre my saltwater work horses and I just dont make it to the salt that much anymore.

Oh yeah. If your gonna drop that kinda change, drop a bit more and get your name engraved in it.
von behr likes this.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:55 AM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
I have never been able to understand why anyone would buy a hand painted Abel at $800.00 and as you say "use the heck out of it". These custom jobs are more of a collectors piece, to admire, not to use. If Abel is your thing, buy the same reel in a solid color, use it and don't worry about the scratches and put that expensive ornament back on the shelf in your "man cave"! IMHO.
I agree and don't agree. I will fish my custom finished Abels. However, there are some that I want, such as all of the DeYoung finishes in 5N, that will not see water. I want to get each and every DeYoung finish and as you say, display them as works of art, which they are!