The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By onthehunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 08:54 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default Boundry waters flyfishing?

Ive been invited to do a 4 night canoe camp the first week of Oct. The rest of my group are luke warm gear fisherman. I am so fanatical it borders on embarassing, so these guys are counting on me to catch fish

Never been there. Any advise?

Thanks!
Jay
Old 09-08-2013, 09:23 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Boundry waters flyfishing?

Walleye and pike are everywhere. Some excellent info on fishing for them from the past.
walleye fly fishing.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:42 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

I have only been to Quetico-Superior in print and regret that I prolly will never make it there, but recently read a book by Sigurd F Olson, a conservationist and guide for the area in the early 1900's ("Reflections From The North Country" 1976).

Olson used to guide a Progressive Minister from Chicago, Dr. Preston Bradley, who would only bring one fly along with him, the "Ambrose Bucktail". Bradley discovered he only needed that one fly to catch all the fish he wanted.

I posted my rendition of the fly a while back.....What have you been tying today?

Might be worth tying a few to take along on your trip.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:24 AM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

That time of year, expect some cold, beautiful nights, some great and difficult fishing and a very good time!

The Smallmouth will more or less be done with topwater and will be moving from their summer locations to deeper, open water. The Walleye, you should still find them on humps, points and reefs and do not neglect waterfall areas if you see them. Pike, they should be everywhere!

Those cooler water temps should have them (Pike) feeding hard before the winter. Look in bays, on saddle areas between islands and the key will be any green weeds that you can still find. As weeds dye off, they use up available oxygen, green weeds still produce oxygen. If you find green weeds, water temps in the lower 60's to mid 60's, you will find Pike and perhaps some "Gators"! Also check near waterfalls for Pike.

If you are on a lake that contains Lake Trout, those fish should start moving shallow, with the cooling waters. Lakers are fall spawners and they will start moving up on rocky points and rocky reefs in depths between 15-40 feet.

If you are throwing flies, I'd bring 7 and 8 weight rods with a floating line, and intermediate line and a type iii or iv sink tip. Streamers should be the ticket for all species!

Enjoy it. It is a special area!
Old 09-08-2013, 10:50 AM

trouton has a spectacular aura abouttrouton has a spectacular aura abouttrouton has a spectacular aura about

Lucky you! You are about to take a wonderful trip. I did it a few years back and often find myself recalling the experience. Plenty of Pike to catch and release (way too many bones to enjoy a meal). Walleye are bountiful but pickier on the take. They are great eating though so the work is worth it.
Enjoy your trip,
Roger
Old 09-08-2013, 10:59 AM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouton View Post
Lucky you! You are about to take a wonderful trip. I did it a few years back and often find myself recalling the experience. Plenty of Pike to catch and release (way too many bones to enjoy a meal). Walleye are bountiful but pickier on the take. They are great eating though so the work is worth it.
Enjoy your trip,
Roger
Actually, those smaller Pike, when the water is cold, are just as good eating as Walleye and more fun to catch.

Getting those bones out isn't too difficult. Simply fillet as you would a Walleye, then V-Cut the Y-Bones out. Done!
milt spawn likes this.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:32 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehunt View Post
Actually, those smaller Pike, when the water is cold, are just as good eating as Walleye and more fun to catch.

Getting those bones out isn't too difficult. Simply fillet as you would a Walleye, then V-Cut the Y-Bones out. Done!
That's what the gear fishermen are for... they can clean 'em! milt
Old 09-08-2013, 12:22 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Great tips guys! Thank you! If I can provide a fresh meal or two for the guys, might go a long ways toward being invited along next time I cant even remember the last time I killed and ate a fish. Several hundred steelhead ago.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:18 PM

paflyfisher is on a distinguished road

Please post a report and let us know how you do. This is one place ive been wanting to go and plan on doing a trip next year.