The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 04:10 PM

okbow68 has a spectacular aura aboutokbow68 has a spectacular aura about
Default Indicator, what do you think? Pic

Been making some indicators when I'm bored. Whipped this together a while ago. I know a lot of you don't like indicators and that's ok. Being objective what do you think?

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
mridenour and enolaeagle like this.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:15 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indicator, what do you think? Pic

Don't use them (no disrespect intended) but swap out the red tail for bright orange?
Old 09-08-2013, 04:19 PM

None taken. It is orange, bad lighting, I'm no photographer.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:10 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

They look like they would float well, and be very visable.
Have you tried them out yet ?
Send a field report post when you get 'em wet, let us know how you rigged up, and how they worked !
Old 09-08-2013, 11:47 PM

I know they work well minus the taller foam upright. I've caught several several fish with the same indicator minus the upright or post or whatever it's called. I've fished all day with just one application of floatant. Thought I'd tie one of these up just to see how it looked.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:56 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I know that Gary and Jason Borger use a bicolor indicator of 1/2 white and 1/2 black polypro. That gives contrast to the indicator.

The white stands out against dark water or in the evenings and the black stands out against white foam and bright day glare off the water.
mridenour likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 09-09-2013, 11:43 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I know that Gary and Jason Borger use a bicolor indicator of 1/2 white and 1/2 black polypro. That gives contrast to the indicator.

The white stands out against dark water or in the evenings and the black stands out against white foam and bright day glare off the water.
Now that's a cool idea; never seen a reference to that before.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:00 PM

tbum2020 is on a distinguished road

I think the best color varies. What you should do is grab all the colors you have and test it out next time your on the water. The differences occur because just about 100% of fly fishing is done with sunglasses on and contrasting colors vary based on the tint and type of lens. I personally found that a that a yellow and purple mix with my sunglasses provides the best overall contrast. When i used my friends sunglasses that exact indicator almost disappeared.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:55 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I think it looks good i fish an indacator some try to make on smaller for small nymphs and low water.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:20 PM

I make them in different sizes and colors.