The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 10:06 PM

enolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the rough
Default What do you do in this situation?

Been stumped a couple times in the last few weeks with hatches so here's the rundown:

3 weeks ago-Sunday evening-yellow breeches: White fly hatch like crazy... could barely see in front of you at times. Fish surfacing everywhere with a couple people around me and noone is catching a thing.

2 weeks ago-Saturday evening-yellow breeches: White fly, Caddis and drake hatch. Fish seemed again to be taking emergers

Last night-Tulpehocken creek: some white flys, trico and caddis hatching. Fish are surfacing but seem to be taking emergers.

Through these 3 times, I've tried several patterns including emergers and came up dry but wondering how often this may happen to others. I do need to learn more about bugs but also looking to expand my flybox if needed.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 09-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you do in this situation?

Multiple hatches can be tough, especially when the fish key in on a specific life stage of a particular bug.......very close observation will give you the answer.

Larry
fredaevans and enolaeagle like this.

Larry
Old 09-08-2013, 10:16 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Not knowing other information, I'd start by worry if my presentation might be dragging if bugs are drifting or my fly is drifting when the bugs are moving. I might drop a tippet size and a fly size. Since you said you tried different patterns I assume you tried hackled dries, non-hackled dries and different emerger patterns. I might mess around with soft hackles too, they can be great Additionally, fishing two flies can work. If multiple hatches going on, tie on one of each and see if they hit one. Especially helpful when one fly hatching is rather small and another is bigger. The larger fly you tie on will double as a sighter for the tiny one.

Another approach is to put on something different, a beetle say. Sometimes fish do get focused on one food item but other times the hatch gets them looking up and they might notice the beetle.
siege and enolaeagle like this.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:17 PM

siege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to behold

1. Stomach pump

2. DuPont spinner

enolaeagle likes this.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:23 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
1. Stomach pump

2. DuPont spinner

You forgot to mention garden hackle
Old 09-08-2013, 10:35 PM

siege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to behold

I had a buddy who complained that the hook on most flies was so small that it was hard to get the worm to stay on.

If ignorance is bliss, he may have been the happiest fisherman on earth.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:16 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Carrying enough Adams to create your own hatch will often lead to success. An Adams looks like nothing yet imitates plenty
enolaeagle likes this.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:11 AM

two_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the rough

I'd tie on a hare's ear and catch fish along the bottom. And this is no joke, I don't fish dries.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:46 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

are you tying your own ?
buying store bought ?
or getting from a local who knows what to tie and fish ?
If its a heavy hatch its always hard to catch fish.
White fly hatch on the tulpehocken ???? (probally taking caddis pupa or a midge pupa)
enolaeagle likes this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 09-09-2013, 11:35 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by enolaeagle View Post
Been stumped a couple times in the last few weeks with hatches so here's the rundown:

3 weeks ago-Sunday evening-yellow breeches: White fly hatch like crazy... could barely see in front of you at times. Fish surfacing everywhere with a couple people around me and noone is catching a thing.
Did you actually SEE a fish take a dun off the surface?

When I am in the middle of a bunch of fly fishers not catching a thing, STOP fishing and look very carefully at the water. Use a seine to see if there is something floating in or under the film.

Get low to the water so you can see along the surface and look at the rises. I would bet that the fish were not taking duns. I have been in a similar situations and the fish were actually taking flying ants that were in the film and could not be seen without using a seine.

If they were taking duns, then the problem is likely drag. I'd go to a longer and thinner and tippet and fish downstream with a parachute mend to feed the fly to the fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enolaeagle View Post
2 weeks ago-Saturday evening-yellow breeches: White fly, Caddis and drake hatch. Fish seemed again to be taking emergers

Last night-Tulpehocken creek: some white flys, trico and caddis hatching. Fish are surfacing but seem to be taking emergers.
This sounds like a masking hatch situation. When you say the fish seem to be taking emergers, I need to ask whether you are familiar with rise forms.

If you look very carefully, you can tell how the fish took the aquatic insect, and where the insect was in the water column.

Here is an illustration from Field and Stream that shows:

Click the image to open in full size.

1. A sipping rise to an insect trapped in or on the film, fine rings in the water = emerger, stillborn emerger, spinner, some small midges.

2. The slurping rise leaves a bubble, the fish's mouth breaks the surface to take a fully emerged insect = mayfly duns and other insects that have fully hatched.

3. The splashy rise, the fish slashes at the fly = typically a rise to caddis that can fly off immediately or a large terrestrial on the water like a grasshopper. The fish want the insect not to escape OR wants to beat another fish to the food.

4. The boil or head and shoulder rise. The water bulges but the fish's mouth does not break the water. The fish's shoulder or dorsal fin may break the water as the fish heads back down = The fish is feeding below the surface chasing nymphs or pupa that are rising in the water column to hatch. They are intercepting the food on the way to the surface and overshoot and break the surface or cause a bulge of water.

Look at the rise forms and examine them for 2 main factors.

(1) Where was the food when it was taken? ON the file, IN the film, or UNDER the film and if so, HOW FAR UNDER?

(2) How energetic is the rise form. Low energy like a sip mens the food is TRAPPED like a spinner, stillborn, ant, etc. Moderate energy in or under the film could be an early stage mayfly emerger. Energetic in or under the film is likely caddis emerger of a pupa rising to emerge.

Finally, in masking hatches SIZE matters. Look very carefully to see if there is an even smaller insect hatching like midges or BWO's. Many times the fsih are feeding on the smaller insect.

The key is to to STOP fishing and observe and break out the seine.

When the fish are feeding in film or just under it, here are several techniques you probably didn't try.

You can try a floating nymph which is nymph with a ball of fuzz or foam at the thorax.

Floating Nymphs

You can try the greased leader tactic with a nymph or an emerger.

If the fish were bulging like they when chasing caddis pupa, you can try the Leisering Lift.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy